Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Weird

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I had a lot of chores to catch up on today. So we didn't get to the woods or waters until 530 or so. We just went over to the neighbors pond. It was high and muddy. We managed to catch a couple bass but the fishing was sort of slow. So we decided to glass the fields. There were 9 in one field, one still packing both sides. Nothing weird about that. What is weird; he was busy breeding a doe! March 5, men, and Mason and I just watched wild whitetail rut action!!!!!

Well when the action is slow in the November, you can say that the rut was early this year. LOL.

I have never seen any breeding activity in March before. Very unlikely those fawns will make it next winter.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
While checking snares a few weeks ago I watched two bucks chasing a few does down one of the dikes. When I got up to where they were, the area absolutely wreaked of deer piss. It smelled just like a bottle of tinks 69. Crazy shit.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
So with that said, what's the latest we have all had fawns sporting spots in the fall? I want to say for me, it is October. I believe it was 2015.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Last year's doe fawns will often come in estrous in February or early March as they were too immature in November. They're usually born in the last week of may through june as a whitetails gestation period is 201 days. In November they're only 6 months old but could reach sexual maturity in as early as 9 months though usually it's 12

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Last year's doe fawns will often come in estrous in February or early March as they were too immature in November. They're usually born in the last week of may through june as a whitetails gestation period is 201 days. In November they're only 6 months old but could reach sexual maturity in as early as 9 months though usually it's 12
Exactly! Great info Joe.

Bigcountry40

I thought I read some where that deer in Texas and Florida basically have different rutting times compared to typical activity , some places in Florida its like Sept. and Texas is continuous. I have no idea if there is any truth to this.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
During gun season 1992 I saw a fawn killed that could not have weighed more than 25 lbs. I suspect it must have been conceived extremely late. I just never dreamed I'd witness rut activity with my own eyes in March!

teej89

NE PA
I thought I read some where that deer in Texas and Florida basically have different rutting times compared to typical activity , some places in Florida its like Sept. and Texas is continuous. I have no idea if there is any truth to this.

I believe Florida is in january as well as texas and the rest of those lower states.

Maybe... this doe told her hubby at home she had a "corporate trip" this week and is up here from FL

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

Not only that, a few weeks here and there over time and you really get some out of whack calendars!