Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017 Hunt Trips?

teej89

NE PA
Anyone have anything planned for this fall? The old man, my bud and I are headed to SW MT for 2 weeks in September to hopefully stick an elk then the three of us will be back to SE MT in the 2nd-ish week of november to chase rutting mulies.

We were going to do a 4 week archery antelope/rifle elk/rifle deer hunt in eastern WY and the first two weeks chase antelope with a bow then the last two head over to the big horns and chase deer and elk with a rilfe but.... my friend decides to have his wedding in the middle of WY's general season. Idiot. Oh well, more points saved for next year.

-T.J.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Submitting for Minnesota Bear tag again this year. If drawn I will be heading up right after Labor Day for a week. This will be my third trip up. We hunt close to Canadian Border. Applications go in first week of April. We'll see if I can get drawn this year.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I have 4 points for Iowa, so that's up in the air.... Be doing my annual 3 week archery/gun hunt in Illinois... Would love to get a week in Ohio somewhere, but this will depend on the outcome of my knocking on doors and getting somewhere to hunt. Worse comes to worse I'll check out some public land... First and foremost on the agenda is trying to close the deal in mid-Oct. on a certain bear I've been after here in Jersey...Quantum what does that Minnesota hunt cost you and how big are the black bears.. Elk... That's something I'd love to do, before I get TOO OLD.... "J" you wanna go???

teej89

NE PA
I have 4 points for Iowa, so that's up in the air.... Be doing my annual 3 week archery/gun hunt in Illinois... Would love to get a week in Ohio somewhere, but this will depend on the outcome of my knocking on doors and getting somewhere to hunt. Worse comes to worse I'll check out some public land... First and foremost on the agenda is trying to close the deal in mid-Oct. on a certain bear I've been after here in Jersey...Quantum what does that Minnesota hunt cost you and how big are the black bears.. Elk... That's something I'd love to do, before I get TOO OLD.... "J" you wanna go???

my dad is 65 and will be hoofing up the mountains along side us again, helps to have two young guns for the pack. Last year him and I covered 70 miles in 9 days in Colorado for elk.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
License and tag is $230 for non-resident.

I am lucky to have a place to stay up there. My wife's family is all in Minnesota. I stay at her BIL's cabin for the week so that doesn't cost me anything. He starts baiting as soon as it is legal and supplies us with all the food while we are there. At the end of the week we all split the cost for the food and bait. It usually runs about $300 a person for that. We hunt public land.

Fletch

Supporting Member
my dad is 65 and will be hoofing up the mountains along side us again, helps to have two young guns for the pack. Last year him and I covered 70 miles in 9 days in Colorado for elk.

teej89... God Bless your Dad... I hope he gets a monster this year... I'm 66 and still going strong... Maybe next year I'll plan something for elk.. This year I just got TOO much on my plate... My main goal as I said is to get yogi... Came very close last year but no cigar. He changed course at the last minute... He goes close to 900 lbs... Damn I'm 2 miles from my truck... LOL

teej89

NE PA
teej89... God Bless your Dad...

helps he has a snot like me to get his butt moving. We were supposed to just do mulies this year but I had two more weeks of vacation to burn. I told him about archery elk and he put up a fit cuz last year we did two trips and it was rough driving to WY then CO 3 weeks later. Well I ended the conversation with I'm going with or without you so lemme know if you're in. Got a call the next day asking about what I've researched so far and how can he help lmao lmao

teej89

NE PA
Well if you don't get drawn.... Come to Jersey and I'll show you some spots... Cheaper and chance at a BIGGERRRRR Bear...

how's the public land bear out there? I live just north of Scranton PA and my bud was telling me NJ has some HUGE bears

Fletch

Supporting Member
License and tag is $230 for non-resident.

I am lucky to have a place to stay up there. My wife's family is all in Minnesota. I stay at her BIL's cabin for the week so that doesn't cost me anything. He starts baiting as soon as it is legal and supplies us with all the food while we are there. At the end of the week we all split the cost for the food and bait. It usually runs about $300 a person for that. We hunt public land.

Thought you were going to an outfitter... Sounds like you have a good deal there... Good Luck with the tags...

Fletch

Supporting Member
how's the public land bear out there? I live just north of Scranton PA and my bud was telling me NJ has some HUGE bears

As you know the next WORLD RECORD black bear will either come from Jersey or Pa. Heres the small one I'm after... Hope to give him a slick trick next Oct. This year he was coming in and at the last moment turned and went in the swamp.. Didn't wind or see me just lady luck was on his side.. And I had the muzzle loader that day... Oh well... He might be sweeter with the bow this year.. Couple more weeks I'll get cameras out.. Hes on private property.... But state lands are also loaded with BIG BEARS... Bears move around a lot and will go where the food is... I also had several 500+ lb bears on cam... I'm funny I'd probably pass a 500 lber and wait for the big guy... Gotta roll the dice....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My 2017 scheduled South Africa plains animal hunt was cancelled due to the PH hunting in a different Africa country all year. Looks good for about June 2018.

Gordo

Athens County
I found out I have some great access in Illinois along with accommodations. Buddies wife has roots there and apparently they own an ass TON of farm land. I gotta look further into it and see if it's worth the trip.

Hunting in new places for different things has to be good for the soul