Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1986 f250 question 6.9 liter Diesel

Gordo

Athens County
I know I talked to some of you guys about this at strouds. I finally am about ready to take action.

Long story short: I bout this truck last summer. It's in great shape with only 70k on the original engine.

It seems I blew a gasket.

First sign was truck running warmer then usual and coolant disappearing. That turned into engine running extremely warm. The 'reservoir/tank' for the coolant would be boiling after driveing short distances. The party was over when I found oil in the coolant/radiator. It seemed that there was no coolant leaking into the oil.

This all happened relatively fast. The last time I drove it, it was overheating quickly and I could feel the lack of compression in the engine when I'd try to give it power. The oil pressure was also really low. I shut her down quickly.

Now, That I have some cash, I'm trying to figure out where to tow it too to get it fixed. It's in cincinatti right now.

Options:

Dive into it on my own. Don't really have the tools and not confident about doing it. Have limited experience with engines, let alone Diesel engines.

The other option I have right now is to take it to a 'Diesel performance' type place. I know there is one in Lancaster, and it seems like they do shit like that all the time and would have it done and growling like the fine machine it is in no time.

End goal: if it costs me an extra couple bucks to have this truck solid for the long run, it's worth it to me.

Just want your opinions.

Should the whole top end repair kit take care of the problem?

If someone is in there, what else should be done to keep her running in the long haul?

Appreciate any input. Thanks

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Any visible signs of antifreeze exiting the engine? If no antifreeze in the oil, maybe just a freeze plug popped out? Is it a head gasket or cracked head?

Just throwing some thoughts out there. My brutally honest opinion is it would (could) be cost as much to repair as the truck is worth. If it was a 7.3L naturally aspirated or turbo, I think the overall truck value would be worth doing it. The 6.9L was never much of a powerhouse and doesn't have a huge demand in the used market.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The 2006 has a exhaust cooler that cools exhaust to reroute some exhaust back to the air intake to re-burn.
That cooler has antifreeze that's connected to the reservoir. The cooler tubes rotted out and boiled out.
Put I see you have oil in the coolant.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Find an old 7.3 and throw it in there. If you were closer to me I know of a few good diesel guys. It's so hard to trust someone to be honest with you when there working on your vehicle anymore.

Gordo

Athens County
From everyone I've talked to and stuff I've read, it's a head gasket. If it is a cracked head, that's horrible news. Seems improbable

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
From everyone I've talked to and stuff I've read, it's a head gasket. If it is a cracked head, that's horrible news. Seems improbable

Pull the head and look at the gasket.... If it's not the gasket, time to regroup....

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
If truck is in Cincy, how you getting it back to A-town?

Here is what I would do, and this is not your backyard mechanic fix.
1. The 6.9 is bulletproof but has some design flaws that led into the early years of the powerstroke 7.3. Both are IDI's then 7.3 went to DI. Find a shop familiar with them.
2. Forget what you think it might be and talk straight about symptoms.
3. Need to check for cavitation vs. head gasket. Unfortunately, you will have to perform the autopsy on the dead to figure it out. As long as the block is sound, worse case scenario is you are putting a sleeve in it and guess what, you are also getting the head gasket.
4. Plan for the worse = block is toast and time to put a new heart in her or donate her other organs. Hope for the better = rebuild due to a fixable cavitation issue. Pray for the best = just a head gasket replacement and I would have head checked for warpage and mill if needed.

If the rest of the truck is solid, it is worth rebuilding the 6.9. If cab corners, rockers, bed is shot and it's anything more than a HG replacement, I would not due it Gordo.

Gordo

Athens County
Damn it. Had a post vanish.

I 'think' the truck is in great shape. It spent its life in Washington state and has hardly any rust.

We upgraded triple A membership to get a free 200 mile tow.

It can go anywhere if it means it's being done right.

I don't know. Is it stupid to drop more coin into it? I'm hopeing she'll be good for 300k miles. Pipe dreaming? I don't know. I'm thinking it's worth it, but maybe I'm nuts. That's why I'm asking

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
No one knows from pics Gordo. With only 70k on the odometer I would not hesitate taking it to someone for a professional option. Only you know what you are willing to risk out of pocket to be told yes, tear down the engine or no, there's bondo and other gremlins hiding their face.

As long as she checks out, then decide on how dep you get with the engine. She looks and sounds like she was treated well!

Gordo

Athens County
2 wd with automatic tranny. Two negatives in the big picture.

Not sure what the deal is with the 12k gross sticker. Supposedly the original owner had a camper sitting in the back of it and used it as a rec vehicle. Not sure if that has anything to do with it

Gordo

Athens County
I don't know of any around here. I've asked a lot of friends/car guys, and no one has recommended anyone local. Not a good thing.

Be great to take it somewhere to people who do this shit everyday so it doesn't turn into a bigger headache.

That being said, there's a limit to the madness in terms of cash to throw at it

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very solid input from Adam. Where's the guy who builds trucks live? He is on TOO but not real consistent. OhioHunter88 or something? I thought he was down your direction. He might be straight with you or at least point you in the direction of someone who does diesel stuff. I know he seems to have grown a pretty solid business. I just don't have any first hand experience with him.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On that truck it shouldn't be difficult. You will need to pull the head gasket (s) though. Check both heads shouldn't be terribly pricey. A local machine shop "should" be able to do so easily.