Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Beef home kill today.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had a old cow going down hill with a bad rear leg so it's time to butcher her. Commercial processors are up to 18 month lead time. She as only going to last another couple weeks before she just gave up and would be lost.
So I had a friend and his friend come over and we did a home kill and butcher today. It went rather well considering neither of them never even field dressed a deer before. But they wanted to learn.
I dropper her about 8:00 AM and used the tractor frontend loader to lift her across the electric fence. Then my hydrolic hose sprung a leak and that was the end of the tractor and frontend loader use.
WE skinned her out on the ground, removed her 4 legs and back straps. Then opened her up and removed the lions and heart.
Went to the polebarn and boned the meat. Steaked the back strap and the boned meat is being commercial canned up by Greeville, OH tomorrow.
Went rather well and they said they would do it again.

Forgot to say I took the boned out body down and put it in the middle of my food plot. Son wants to use his nightvision for coyote over it. I'm putting 1-2 cameras on it tomorrow hoping to get a picture of a bobcat.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's a good feeling knowing you have a couple of buddies to come help when needed.

How's that tractor holding up?

Tractor is running great. Had a small drip in the rear hose for the frontend loaded but the heavy load on it today just blew the drip in to 2 ft streams of fluid under pressure. New hoses will repair it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry you lost a cow and some hoses. Part of the circle of life. Glad you taught a couple guys how to get things done. Good stuff!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Sounds like the best made of a bad situation. When is the Lima show? May have to drive over just to meet up with you.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like the best made of a bad situation. When is the Lima show? May have to drive over just to meet up with you.

Lima gunshow is always the 1st full weekend of the month Oct through May. I have done every show for 30 yrs since Oct 1986. Great club show af about 350 tables and probably 30-40 % are club members that go no where else.

FYI I'm still eating canned meats from 1999 that I sold for Y2K shows.