Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rabbits Bonanza

Renovator

rab 2.jpgrab 1.jpg
I took a trip to some new property 1 1/2 hours south west of me today. Hunted a couple small fields with a creek separating the two. Couple inches of soft snow. 60 seconds in I jumped one dogs pushed it my friend wounded it. Dogs stopped cold we found some blood leading into a hole. We jumped 4-5 or so on the right side. Runs were short dogs not circling. What we began to notice on the other side. There were so many rabbits the dogs would get one going 2-3 more would pop out. We jumped about 10 more on the right side. It was crazy rabbits everywhere. That sounds like a good thing and I'm not complaining but there were so many rabbits the dogs could really not circle too many, they brought a couple back around and a couple more would pop out.
Last run led us across the street. One took the girls On a long chase. This one they brought back to us. Across the street was a little more open I think we saw 4 there. We were hunting tall grass a lot bunnies under the beds. These fields bordered cornfields and other crops. It was the only cover in a large area. So before we left the guy that invited us to try the property brought us to a vacant farm house bordering the field across the street with a lot of junk piles and some bails of wheat. As the dogs were going in the one guy said I see two. All of a sudden about six rabbits came flying out in every direction.
The dogs were sight chasing. It was like they were four months old again in a training pen. After about five minutes two more popped out. The dogs were very close and a bunch of them we could not shoot. Think we saw about 22 or 23 rabbits today we only brought home seven but it was a day I will never forget. J said he has not seen a Day like this since the 90's I have never seen a day like this in my life.

We only hunted 8-12 because the guy that invited us had to take off.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Days like this make it all worth going thru the not so good days lol...
Glad you had a blast and made a new milestone to beat lol.... Good luck topping it....

Renovator

It defiantly was a day to rember. It was the best day for action and meat as for the dogs they were basically jumping and switching and switching do so many tracks and rabbits coming from everywhere. We will not get back to that place until next year as it is a friend of a friends. The most exciting day last year with the dogs was a place in Delroy, my friend Leases for deer hunting. We cannot hunt there until this time of year. It took us 4 hours to find the rabbits once we did we jumped one after the other the dogs ran big circles up and down hills with few checks. We jumped 8 and took home 7 all males.
We were tired and my heavier set dog just layer in the grass after the last run, so we called it a day. We are headed back there Presidents' Day now that we know where they are and where they run I'm hopping for a great day.

Dirty south I think I can meet up on the 25
Let me know if your still trying to put it together.

dirtysouth36

Well i have 2 places in mind. 1 ive hit twice so kinda trying to leave it sit til next year. So that leaves me with bolivar dam which is usually good. Unless you guys have any ideas?? I will also travel.

Bigcountry40

Big country I'm running out of days this season. Might have to be next year.

Time just slipped away from Renovator, had a few big bucks running around properties and tried my damnedest during late season bow. I guess I'll just do some rompin and stompin.