Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Operation Predator Control - 1023's Trapping Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was finally able to clear out of my schedule enough to get started with my trapping and snaring efforts. I have never snared before and have only trapped a off and on during two winters previously. This year I picked up some of the No-BS Lures K-9 Extreme traps thanks to Chad's recommendation and they were a pleasure to set today. In addition to those, I picked up some of the Micro snares from the Snare Shop. I was on a bit of a time crunch today, so I only got 3 of my 5 footholds out and 2 of my dozen snares. I'll get some more out tomorrow and Sunday. I have permission from some of the neighbors to trap their places this year, so I can really expand the operation. With some paternity leave on the horizon, I have the next 4-8 weeks to really make an effort of it this year.

Next set is at the convergence of two of our roads. I caught a coon and possum here a couple years ago. Always a lot of travel in this bottom, so this set will stay right here for a while. I arched all the grass up and put a dirt hole in there with some food lure.

Snares sets...

This big old hole is next to the cam that always has pics of yotes on it. It was a lot work digging this one out, but I wanted something "big" right here. I stuffed a goose breast back in there I have had "curing" in the beer fridge for a couple weeks and added some glad lure to it as well...

My phone died before I could snap pics of the other foothold over a goose carcass I stuffed back in a briar bush and made a tunnel to. It's right off the freshest set of yote tracks on the farm.

Hopefully lots more to come!

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Something looks extra good on this last pic. I can see a yote getting excited and careless over a goose dinner. Hope it all works out. Good Luck!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No luck today. Had a deer get in a snare and I'm still puzzled as to how. Thankfully the deer stop did it's job and no dead deer. Put my other 2 footholds out. One next to a fresh possum kill and the other along a main trail.

I had help today and she brought her lucky rock, so fingers crossed for tomorrow!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well I won't lie, rolling in to stop #1 this morning and seeing this muddy bastard staring at me was one of the best fist pumping moments of my career as a sportsmen. Just a cool experience. Caught him on the dirt hole set where the roads converge in the creek bottom. Solid front right foot catch. He was exhausted when I showed up. Like I told Taylor, he was coated in butter on a bacon greased ground. Just a sloppy mess and he almost acted ready to die. I was happy to oblige. This is my first ever catch on a foot hold. K was right there with me and she thought it was super cool. Gives her something for Show and Tell this week... 😂

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Simply bad ass, brother! I knew you'd get one, didn't think it'd be a day or two after you set the damn trap though lol. Congrats again!!

OO2

In the Uplands
Wow that's awesome! Big congrats! I'd like to try footholds but seems like a lot more variables then just setting snares.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I want to give a shout out to Taylor. Some guys would never do what he did for me a few years ago. He drove 40-45 minutes to meet me, then rolled 25 minutes to our farm and spent a couple hours showing me some basic sets. I caught this yote at a dirt hole set in the same spot he showed me my first set. Same concept he showed me, just a few years later. He also made a comment on here about "3 inches left and 7 inches back" I believe. I took note and set that pan on those measurements from my hole. May have been coincidence, but there's something to those numbers.

Taylor, thanks buddy. You paid forward a cool gift today.