Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My basement

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Last weekend i got a burr up my ass to finish out my basement that was otherwise unused. (I may have opened up a can of worms cuz my wife and i already cant agree on anything... oh well)
So after i took inventory of what i had and want to do i came up with a plan of attack. First i will show some pictures of what it was lime when i started ( please dont judge my cuz i know it is a disaster).

Last weekend i tore down all of that nasty insulation and moved all of the plumbing to the wall opposite of the stairs. In the process of doing that i decided to redo the plumbing with pex. After about 20 trips to the store i finally finished everything last Sunday at noon.
The next step is to frame in the walls with 2x4s and run the electric for the outlets and move the lights.
I have plans to move the stairs so that they come down the other way. That would make the entrance of the basement come i through the closet that is in my garage. In moving the steps i can reduce the angle and get rid of the landing. I would like to cut a doorway through my living room wall so i can have access to the basement from the main part of the house.
I also plan on painting the ceiling instead of hanging drywall. The ceiling of the basement is only 7'8" so a drop ceiling wouldn't work and i personally hate hanging drywall. That is the wife and i biggest argument right now she wants a white ceiling where i want a darker color like charcoal or a dark blue. We also an on putting garage floor epoxy on the floor instead of carpet in case it should ever flood.
I also want to put either rough sawn lumber or old barn siding on the wall with the big crock on it. On Tuesday i cut down several trees after work and cut six logs out of them for the lumber. Kn Wednesday i talked to the owner of the company i work for and he is taking down three barns. I have to look and see if the siding on the barns are wht i want or i will need to get the logs sawn. Since i now have access to a bunch of hand hewn barn beams i may try to incorporate some of them into the walls. If anyone has any suggestions please dont hesitate im all ears.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Sweet! Keep us updated.

I do "industrial" ceiling basements quite a bit. Here is a pic of how the ceiling finishes. I usually do the walls and floors standard but this is our "play room".

I install the cans and spray right over them. Makes for a great look. Prefer it to drywalled ceilings.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Our basement doesn't "leak" but it has seen water a few times over the years. I like your idea for the floor. Sure would clean up easy. I like your ideas so far. For more input, maybe let us know how you intend on using it. I like the floor paint idea even if you are just trying to add more storage. Simply good all around.

twireman

Kingston, OH

Nice thread. I am in the midst of making a living area in our basement as well.. turned into a bigger project than I thought. Good luck with your project!!

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Good luck nathan! Keep this thread updated with progress and ask for help when needed. Lots of guys in the carpentry trade on here.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I had a brainstorm late last night. On my little property there is a 2 car detached garage and an old old corncrib. The property i own was the house my great-grandmother built after her husband died and she sold the farm. The only thing she wanted off the old farm house was that old corncrib. Apparently my great grandfather and her built that building togather right after they were married and before they had children. The building is just not useful enough for me to invest money in all new metal siding and roof as it is only 12'x22' with a 7'6" garage door. It really is not in the best shape anymore and i was planning on taking it down this summer anyhow. I was looking at it and decided to just use that building for the basement instead of getting one from my boss. That way the shed will get another new life.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Not sure what to do right now. A guy i know called asking me if I was willing to sell my house. Im really considering this as an option now. He will come over Saturday to look at it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like you need to show a house and hear him out. Doesn't cost anything to listen to his offer. Good luck!

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
The basement hasnt gotten very far becuase the same guy wants to look at it again with his dad this time. From talking to his brother it sounds like he will more than likely make me an offer soon.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If that is what you want then I suppose that is a good thing for you Nathan. Was your house listed for sale? Did you want to move?

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
If that is what you want then I suppose that is a good thing for you Nathan. Was your house listed for sale? Did you want to move?
With the baby coming in a few weeks we are quickly outgrowing our house. We have been talking about moving for several months now. Temporary her grandmother has a farm house that they rent that nobody has rented for the past year that we will move into if the house sells. We did not have our house listed anywhere the man who ia interested in buying it a a friend of a friend and i mentioned something to him about five months ago about it. I have been looking to buy some more acreage but there just isn't much for sale around here ( we want to stay in the same school dictrict) but i know of a place that has 14 acres that will more than likely be selling soon.