Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sighting in Muzzleloader

Isaacorps

Columbus
I looked around but didn't see anything on this so please forgive me if this is redundant. Just wanted to pick y'alls brains and see what distance you sight in your muzzleloadera at? I've always sighted mine in at 50 yards because that's the longest shooting range I have access to. I figure that out to 100 yards I'm still well within the vitals if I hold 1-2" high. What are your thoughts?

Fletch

Supporting Member
I looked around but didn't see anything on this so please forgive me if this is redundant. Just wanted to pick y'alls brains and see what distance you sight in your muzzleloadera at? I've always sighted mine in at 50 yards because that's the longest shooting range I have access to. I figure that out to 100 yards I'm still well within the vitals if I hold 1-2" high. What are your thoughts?

I got a new muzzleloader this year and sighted it in for 2 inches high at 50 yds... I figure then out to 100 yds. or so I'm good to go, with aiming dead center in the boiler room... This should cover most normal hunting situations as how often have you shot a deer over 100yds. Take in mind that if you hunt open areas you might want to zero it in hitting a little high at 100yds... After I'm zeroed in, I'll move the target around to various distances and see where I hit... Just for shits and giggles...

Isaacorps

Columbus
I got a new muzzleloader this year and sighted it in for 2 inches high at 50 yds... I figure then out to 100 yds. or so I'm good to go, with aiming dead center in the boiler room... This should cover most normal hunting situations as how often have you shot a deer over 100yds. Take in mind that if you hunt open areas you might want to zero it in hitting a little high at 100yds... After I'm zeroed in, I'll move the target around to various distances and see where I hit... Just for shits and giggles...

This is exactly my thinking as I have shot a exactly 0 deer out past 100 yards lol