Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Prairie Dog Hunts

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I have been mauling around the idea of going on a Prairie Dog hunt this summer, I don't want to pay $1500 to get rid of a problem for someone else! I just want to go out and have some fun with a few friends. I thought about doing just a DIY and finding some public land. I have read on some sites that Dogs get hit hard on public land and will stay underground for hours after the first shot. So, that is a little discouraging to think of the time and money I could put it and not get many shots. If any one has advice or connections for a reasonable price for a 3-4 day hunt that would be very appreciative!!!

PS I know what equipment and the requirements that is needed, I just need advice on the booking and/or DIY part of that for those who have done this before.

Thanks!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Went 1-2 times each year for over 15 years.
Always hunted Public Land. The secret it go early. We always went 1st or 2nd week of June. My son always went 4th week of May.
If you read about on line or in print it's pure BS.
We always had 300-1000 shots per day. Always took 7000 rounds of 223 Rem and many years came back early with no ammo.
A 223 Rem will take care of 95% of shots out to 400-500 yds. 18-20 or 24 power excellent scope Leupold or Burris only thing we used.
Used custom 12-13 lb AR 15's. No recoil and instant follow up shots. Not working bolt and loose sight of long range dog. We did it all and settled on 223 Rem and AR 10 260 Rem for 600-1000 yd shots.
Always hunted New Castle WY of Woods SD.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Frank is doing well in my 2nd Amendment hole.
Took a 9 pt. buck with a 1" drop tine and doe on the back of my farm in my food plots with a 45-70 Marlin rifle and reloads. One shot kills at 35 and 150 yds. Gave the doe to a friend who has Parkinson and can't hunt. And gave the buck to my nephew who helps me all the time.
My scheduled South Africa plains animal hunting trip has been cancelled for 2017 as the PH is hunting in another Africa country the entire year. Using the same PH that a friend of mine uses for 30 plus years.
Selling off my advanced Mossberg collection which has been a great investment for the last 18 yrs. Got to over 100 Mossberg rifles and it's time to let them go to other collectors. Plus sold off all my rifles I haven't shot in the last 25 yrs. Damn how values have risen over time. A word of advise on gun buying. Buy high quality and rather rare models and values only go up.
All the gun sales money goes into my 'precious metal investment account (gun)"

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Thanks Frank! I will definitely be asking more questions if I pull the trigger on this trip! Long as I can get the wife to ok this!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Frank! I will definitely be asking more questions if I pull the trigger on this trip! Long as I can get the wife to ok this!

Ask away on questions. Shooting PD's is a life long passion. But 3 of my shooting buddies have passed away and one has a breathing problem and can't go anymore. Only 3 of us left of our group of 7 that can still go out. We've been talking about it as only one isn't retired yet but he's a Doctor and goes when he wants.
Never in almost 53 yrs. did I ever ask the wife if I could go just mentioned when I would be going and return. But I always use wheeling and dealing funds for my tickle my fancy doings.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome! Great to see you around again Frank! How's the reloading going?

The ammo company I do R&D work is expanding left and right. I still do their loading R&D plus trim 223 cases. I'm retired and no need to work just do it for my 'tickle my fancy items'.

teej89

NE PA
Thanks TJ! will do, if I don't go this may I will go next may.

I couldn't imagine going out there just to hunt prairie dogs, that drive is a long one... get yourself an antelope tag for the october general season, kill your buck in the first day or two then hunt prairie dogs for the next couple of days while dining on earth's finest meat.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I couldn't imagine going out there just to hunt prairie dogs, that drive is a long one... get yourself an antelope tag for the october general season, kill your buck in the first day or two then hunt prairie dogs for the next couple of days while dining on earth's finest meat.

I probably made 20 trips in 15 years from Ohio just to shoot PD's. It's a blast. We would take 3-4 guys and share cost and driving in 2 days each way. Went with my son one year and drove straight through to there and back home. Never again will I do that.
Having 300-1000 shots per day at PD's is fun and nothing like it in the East.

teej89

NE PA
Never again will I do that

I hear ya.... we did that to wyoming and back then 3 weeks later to colorado and back. But with limited vacation and trying to hunt out there as much as possible just gotta bite the bullet.