Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nicks 2017 Shed thread

nis1

Alright, I've never had the shed hunting skills or luck to post anything like this but this shed season started off with such a bang that I'm going to take the plunge and hope for the best.

Last Sunday was the first serious shed hunt of the season. I packed up the wife and the dog and we headed to an area I had been tipped off about. Started off the day by sending wife up one ridge and myself and the dog climbing another. as I approached the bottom of the hill I found a fairly fresh dead buck that had shed both sides. It was pretty shredded by yotes. I climbed to the top of the ridge and spotted several deer below me including two pretty decent bucks. Not what I was wanting to see but that's life. We kept working humps, ridges, and basically any trail we could find.

We were pretty high on a hill checking some flats and I hear 'OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH!!!' My wife had found her first shed and I had walked right by that sap sucker.

So we get over the excitement from that find and continue on. We were working a beautiful low lying bottom area and I caught a glimpse of a shed to my left. I took the pup over to check it out and he didn't care (I was hoping he would grab it as we have been working on his shed skills in the back yard). I snagged it up and did a little celebration dance and Sarah came running over to check it out. At about that time, I looked to my right and spotted another antler off of a different buck and snagged that guy too.

In the midst of all the excitement I hear Sarah start laughing and snag the match to the first one I had picked up...only a couple feet away. Can't believe I hadn't seen that one too!

We ended up with 4 freshy's and one old one. This has already been the best shed season of my life if we don't find any more. Keeping my fingers crossed we do though! We'll be back at it this weekend if not sooner!

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is awesome Nick! Congrats on some nice finds. Beautiful dog you have there. Glad to see your wife getting out with you. She is a pretty lady as well.

Gordo

Athens County
That's a solid day!!!! Keep on trucking! Sounds like your in the right spot! Great motivation to Burn some more boot leather!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
:smiley_clap:

You'll be hard pressed to top a day like that! That's awesome that you got your wife out there to join you and your dog! Bet she's hooked for life now! Good luck in your future hunts and thanks for sharing!

What part of Ohio were you looking? Here in the SW they seem to shed much later than the other 3 corners....ugh

nis1

Thanks everyone, I am in NE Ohio for those wondering. The deer in the immediate area around my house typically hold their antlers until late as well so I'm not sure what's going on with it this year. As for my wife, she's no stranger to the deer woods and she's become quite the little hunter over the last couple of years. I'm very proud of her. I don't think she's to the level of addiction that I am with whitetailed deer but she'll get there haha.