Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scouting with Cams.....

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
So, I'm new to using trail cameras. I started last off season, in the summer and now. I've seen guys talk of using cams to pattern a buck. I've seen guys talk of using cams to zero in on a good buck. This seems difficult at best. First of all, if you run a high volume of cams, you're really increasing your risk for theft. Secondly, the more you're in the woods checking cams, moving cams, muckin around in there, the more disturbance you're creating and thus making it harder to "pattern" a mature buck.

So, how does this work? Are guys using those cellphone trail cams so they don't have to enter the woods much to disturb the area? Do they think they have it figured out and cam is just to confirm? It just seems trampeling all through a mature bucks area to get pictures of him is going to make him a LOT harder to kill.

So, you guys that have been running cams for years and years and have more experience than I may ever get. Is this common, or more of the exception to the rule?

Gordo

Athens County
The one thing that crosses my mind is that if deer get used to something, it's no longer a disturbance. It's part of every day life.

You can 'desensitize animals to things if your consistent enough with how you do things.

If your running a camera and corn in the same place for 5 years, check it/replenish it once a week on a schedule, YEAR around, it is no longer going to be a disturbance to the deer. Eventually, none of them will no life with-out your intrusion.

That's a good head start to being able to pattern mature deer

Gordo

Athens County
What I said is one small part of how people are using cams. More geared towards spreading some corn and popping a cam over it.

That seems to be a first step for guys who are really maximizeing the effectiveness of TC's

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Deer are random. Know the property. Have an idea of how they are using the property already. Use the cam to verify existence and build a little anticipation. I learn more scouting with binoculars from a distance because I can see large areas. The cameras just catch a little window of view. Guys who "pattern a mature buck" spend a lot of money on corn. NOT always. Sure does seem this way though.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Deer are random. Know the property. Have an idea of how they are using the property already. Use the cam to verify existence and build a little anticipation. I learn more scouting with binoculars from a distance because I can see large areas. The cameras just catch a little window of view. Guys who "pattern a mature buck" spend a lot of money on corn. NOT always. Sure does seem this way though.
I will agree with the corn. As it seems that quite a few that pattern a good one, especially early, are dumping a good bit of golden nuggets, it definitely helps. A guy can learn a lot from scouting bean and alfalfa fields early season, and having cams already set up on pinch points and travel corridors. If you can't get on one early, then rely on your cameras that are already set up for those rut spots. I understand some guys don't live close enough to their properties to scout with binos a few days a week, those guys might want to put their cams on early season food sources instead of the pinch points.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Time lapse. To me, that's the best way to watch a good source, unless you are using bait. Deer move from one area to another way more than I think most realize. I think they will stay in a general area for two or three weeks and then they go find another area to utilize. To think the same buck will be heading to the same ag field for the entire fall is foolish, I think. They do have patterns, but for me, by the time I feel I figure it out, they are on another. If you are only checking cams every couple weeks, you will miss the opportunity the cam's intel is giving you. You have to hunt them when they are using your area.

jlane

dunn nc
Time lapse. To me, that's the best way to watch a good source, unless you are using bait. Deer move from one area to another way more than I think most realize. I think they will stay in a general area for two or three weeks and then they go find another area to utilize. To think the same buck will be heading to the same ag field for the entire fall is foolish, I think. They do have patterns, but for me, by the time I feel I figure it out, they are on another. If you are only checking cams every couple weeks, you will miss the opportunity the cam's intel is giving you. You have to hunt them when they are using your area.

Very wise assumption, I use wireless trail cams, not only on corn or plots.
once you know he's in the area using the bait, then you got to know where he;s coming from.
Trail cams are a small window of the outdoors,(maybe a 50/50 ft area),
Once you know he;s in the area you need to be on him asap.
If I get him on cam for two days consistant I try to be sitting there on the third day, if not i;ll move cams on trails and see which trail he;s using(can be time comsuming,).
Don't put the cam at eye level on a trail, at least 6ft up looking down,
Mature bucks don;t like for any unnatural changes in there house.
Cams are more for assessing what you have in and out on your property, not as much for killing them.
Helps you not to shoot immature bucks because you know there is better ones in your area.
As mentioned above if i get a shooter coming two days straight i'll sit the next three days around that time frame, more than likely I'll at least see him,if not get a shot.
I also like being able to drive the truck or fourwheeler to my cams, if i can;t and have to walk I'll make noise long before i get to the area, suprise him twice and it's probally over, give him a chance to slip out well before you get in there and he will feel secure staying there.
I like the trail cam pics as much as hunting them.
Deer gets acostomed to whats happening around them on a regular bases, the irratic disturbance is what makes them so unpredictable.
Same with feeders put them in the area and leave them, allow the deer time to know there is no harm with that object that just appeared in their house.

I have never really patterned a buck based upon trail cams. I have gotten some ideas though from the pictures and more than anything it lets you know what is in the area.

As said above deer change patterns all the time based upon cover, food, pressure, etc. This is especially true after the 1st of October. The only time I think you can truly pattern a buck is that 1st week or so of the season. After that the pre-rut starts going, food changes, and their patterns/home ranges often change.

Deer do become accustomed to common disturbances, but mature buck can be really touchy. The less you can intrude on them the better. I do agree if you can ride an atv thru this is a much better scenario than walking.

I do like using the time-lapse when it gets close to deer season. You would be amazed how many deer you miss with a regular trail cam especially if you are not setting it on bait. Great to use on fields or other open areas.The great thing is you can see where exactly the deer are entering and exiting the area.

Bigcountry40

Very wise assumption, I use wireless trail cams, not only on corn or plots.
once you know he's in the area using the bait, then you got to know where he;s coming from.
Trail cams are a small window of the outdoors,(maybe a 50/50 ft area),
Once you know he;s in the area you need to be on him asap.
If I get him on cam for two days consistant I try to be sitting there on the third day, if not i;ll move cams on trails and see which trail he;s using(can be time comsuming,).
Don't put the cam at eye level on a trail, at least 6ft up looking down,
Mature bucks don;t like for any unnatural changes in there house.
Cams are more for assessing what you have in and out on your property, not as much for killing them.
Helps you not to shoot immature bucks because you know there is better ones in your area.
As mentioned above if i get a shooter coming two days straight i'll sit the next three days around that time frame, more than likely I'll at least see him,if not get a shot.
I also like being able to drive the truck or fourwheeler to my cams, if i can;t and have to walk I'll make noise long before i get to the area, suprise him twice and it's probally over, give him a chance to slip out well before you get in there and he will feel secure staying there.
I like the trail cam pics as much as hunting them.
Deer gets acostomed to whats happening around them on a regular bases, the irratic disturbance is what makes them so unpredictable.
Same with feeders put them in the area and leave them, allow the deer time to know there is no harm with that object that just appeared in their house.

Very insightful I have always tried using 4 wheelers and trucks in areas that tractors, etc are constantly being run. I feel like on our farm the mature bucks avoid our feeding points and cameras.

Last edited:

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio

This makes sense to me. My initial forray into the world of trail cams was just that. Scatter a bit of corn and see what's in the neighborhood. However, I'm getting a bit hooked. I just wondered if I could really use these things to get a handle on a mature buck's pattern. I'd likely only be trying to take advantage of this at the very beginning of the season or perhaps near the end. Though, I really don't want to spend that much money on corn. lol

Someone mentioned, being noisy and obvious in an approach to a trail cam. That's a great idea!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is another trick: Rotate the camera 90 or 180 degrees on the tree when possible. You'd be amazed at the number of deer you got one set of pictures of NEVER left the property. Often times I find they skirt the cameras or begin to enter the property 50yds down from where they once were.

Again: Deer are random. Stole that line from Brock. He is right in my opinion. BUT. . . They are all different. I've seen mature bucks plenty comfy in front of a camera and I've seen them bug out like you had a close up encounter with them in person.

Here is another trick: Rotate the camera 90 or 180 degrees on the tree when possible. You'd be amazed at the number of deer you got one set of pictures of NEVER left the property. Often times I find they skirt the cameras or begin to enter the property 50yds down from where they once were.

Again: Deer are random. Stole that line from Brock. He is right in my opinion. BUT. . . They are all different. I've seen mature bucks plenty comfy in front of a camera and I've seen them bug out like you had a close up encounter with them in person.

Yes they are. I typically have always just run a camera or 2 and would move them around here in PA in a pretty large area. This year I had 2 to 3 cameras all fall on 13 acres in Ohio. I was surprised to see deer somewhat regularly on one camera that I never got on the other one or would rarely get. The cameras were only about 125 yards apart and both cameras were set over bait as well.