Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

snaring yotes

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Anyone have a good link to just the basics of setting snares? I would love to be able to set some behind my house and at the property in SE Ohio. I am normally only able to do things on the weekends due to my work schedule.

Any pointers are appreciated! Thank you! I am GREEN when it comes to this topic!

OO2

In the Uplands
Brian (Boarhead) has some good threads on his past seasons that I read over. I got my snares from Sportsmans Guide whenever they have free shipping. However, the snare shop also is a good place to look to get started.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Take a day to scout for sign instead of just setting snares on random trails. The yotes will tell you where to set. When you do find a trail they are using, set your snare at a spot where the trail pinches down and forces the yotes into it. Buy snares with micro locks, it's a relaxing lock, snares in Ohio cannot have non relaxing locks. Jump sticks are also a good idea if your setting on deer trails, place a stick angled over your snare that way a deer will jump over, or is at least supposed to. Don't buy those shitty regular Berkshire stakes that are made for soft ground, get either heavy duty Berkshires or wolf fangs. You'll need some 9 or 11 gauge wire, a pair of wire cutters, and a good hammer.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Take a day to scout for sign instead of just setting snares on random trails. The yotes will tell you where to set. When you do find a trail they are using, set your snare at a spot where the trail pinches down and forces the yotes into it. Buy snares with micro locks, it's a relaxing lock, snares in Ohio cannot have non relaxing locks. Jump sticks are also a good idea if your setting on deer trails, place a stick angled over your snare that way a deer will jump over, or is at least supposed to. Don't buy those shitty regular Berkshire stakes that are made for soft ground, get either heavy duty Berkshires or wolf fangs. You'll need some 9 or 11 gauge wire, a pair of wire cutters, and a good hammer.

Chad you are the man! Thanks brother!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The more ya set the better your odds of catching them,i do not like anything above or over my snares if i can help it,hard to do sometimes in thick areas.
Deer will duck their heads under them sometimes,dont ask me how i know this.lol
They are lots of fun to set free.
If you are setting on a good trail walk it and set 2 or 3 along it.
Like i said most areas you should be able to set without anything being above your snare,if u are setting in a thick area just trim out any limbs that would be above it so as not to make deer duck under and get caught.
Trails cutting across fencerows are great spots also,if it is wide enough set one on each side,good way to catch a double.
Also you dont have to worry about putting any sticks beside the snare to guode them through it,when they are cruising a trail they are on the move and pretty much stay right on the trail and run right into the snare,u wanna make sure your snare is just hanging on the guide wire so it just slips right off when they go into it,if they are cruising slow and feel it on their neck from any resistance they will back out.
Feb and March are great times to catch some doubles as they are breeding and running in pairs alot also the males are on their feet and covering lots of territory searching for females.
Good luck it is lots of fun when you start catching them.

Last edited:

Blan37

SW Ohio
Damn Joe, did you read any of my post lol. I know Brian uses different stakes than I do, all a personal preference I guess.

Ha! Not sure how I missed that lol

duh.jpg

Blan37

SW Ohio
I think I'm going to make the switch to wolf fangs next year, been having some of the HD Berk's bend on me after 4-5 settings in hard ground. Just had one bend today so I said fugg it and attached the snare to the tree.

I'll give the wolf fangs a look.

You buy from snare shop?

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I use pogo stakes,i have so many of them i will keep using them ,but if i ever have to get more i will switch to wolf fang,i just like the stake driver better than the pogo driver as it will bend the prongs if u hit a big rock.
Guess to each their own on what Chad said about putting a stick over snare to make deer jump but after snaring a couple deer i stopped doing that and had better luck not catching any,but u will get a dumb deer sometimes out in the wide open that puts its head through one.
It's a learning process,my first yr i caught 3 deer and after changing tactics over the yrs i havn't caught any the last 4 seasons.
Like i said if you do catch one they are fun releasing.lol
Make sure you have a good pair of cable cutters with you,wire cutters wont cut the cable quick enough.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Oh i know Chad, just think it is best to never have anything over the top of a snare,i will agree if i did it over i think the pogo stakes are good and hold great just like the style of the wolf fang driver alot better.
Have too many pogos to go switching over now.lol

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Wow thanks for the information fellas. I'm gunna have to do some homework for sure. Chad I might have to take a day to come have you show me how you set yours up in person. I'll buy lunch.