Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Steve's 2017 Trapping Thread

coyote.jpgcoyote 1.jpgcoyote 2.jpgcoyote 3.jpgfox 1.jpg

This is my first post, so I just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the information you guys post on here. After following the site through last year's season, I decided to give snaring a shot this year. Without all the information I have read on here, I have to admit I would have been at a loss.

I started several weeks ago, and have been fairly lucky. So far, I have caught 3 (2 female & 1 male)coyotes, a fox, and 2 raccoons in the snares. I also set 6 leg holds last week, and so far have caught one red fox and missed a coyote 2 days later at the same set. I also had a complete pullout of a wolffang anchor and snare on a coyote which I believe was my fault. I set it on a gas line in a low lying area and with all the rain I believe the soil was just to soft. I also didn't "set" the anchor but just drove it in and set the snare. I now am pulling on the anchors to make sure they hold firmly.

Once again, I would like to thank all of you that post suggestions on here. All of the information has been invaluable. I am having a lot of fun, getting some great exercise, and trying to help do my part to take out some of these fawn killers.

Steve

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Dang It Steve! Nothing like gettin' right after it! Congrats on the kills. Don't them yotes look extra good laying like the pic's? Keep it up buddy!

These are all here in Ohio. My girlfriend lives in Dublin, so I got a place in Marysville and a place in Hebron that I have set. I wish the ground would freeze up, but the mud is telling me I still have some dogs to catch.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
These are all here in Ohio. My girlfriend lives in Dublin, so I got a place in Marysville and a place in Hebron that I have set. I wish the ground would freeze up, but the mud is telling me I still have some dogs to catch.
Nice! Ya this weather sucks!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

Hebron? Your in my backyard now. Kill them ALL!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great intro! Welcome to the posting side of the forum! Congrats on some success in snaring.

coyote 4.JPG

Snared another female today in Hebron. Not as big as the others but still one less to have pups in a few months. She was the first one that was actually aggressive in the snare. Growling, jumping all over the place and barking like crazy.