Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Unseasonably Warm Bunny Hunting

Renovator

IMG_7750.jpgIMG_7759.jpg
[video]https://youtu.be/iEng9vC-T-w[/video]

We took a first time rabbit hunter out today. The girls wasted no time. We had one up and running in about 5 minutes. It went out about 150 yards, circled back to my friend, he got it on the second shot. One in the bag. About 15 minutes later we had another one going. It made a nice big circle, but the girls lost it by some holes we saw earlier. We should have left somebody there. We headed to the other side of the property. About 15 minutes later, we had another one going. It stopped about 7 feet in front of me. I was kneeling down, I looked at it for about 10 seconds, I did not want to shoot it this close. When it decided to take off, it bolted, and I did not get a shot. The girls ran it about 200 yards, this time it came into view about 25 yards away. Second one in the bag. We worked our way back across the street where we jumped one. My friend, and the first-timer, took a shot at this racing rabbit. No luck. The girls chased it for about 35 minutes, but we never saw it again. As we were walking out, the girls went right back into this tall grass area where they jumped the second rabbit that holed up. They got really hot, and the rabbit came out again. This time I posted over the hole. The girls circled it, about 15 minutes later, it was coming at a pretty good clip towards the hole. It saw me, I took a shot at it, it jumped and took off running. About 15 minutes later the girls brought it back again. They had a handful of checks this time. There was quite a bit of water on the ground, thinking that might have been the reason. It came zipping right across the middle. My friend missed it, I shot it, hit it, it kept going. It was like a cat that had 9 lives. But on the second shot, I got it this time. You'll see in the video, the dogs picked it up, and brought it back to me. This is the first time they've ever done it. My friend started to field dress the rabbit, I started heading back to the truck, unloaded the guns, took off my vest, the newcomer had to leave. As my friend came walking out of the woods, he kicked up a fourth rabbit. He called me over there, I brought the dogs back. The race was on. About 10 minutes later, the girls brought it back around, and number four was in the bag. We were planning to hit one more spot, but I had to head home to coach my son's winter baseball practice. We have another five weeks of the season left, get out there every chance you can. I have a busy work week this week, hopefully I can make it out next weekend.

Rabbitrunner80

I wish mine would retrieve. Our old female used to occasionally but hasn't in a long time. Our youngest one will go nuts attacking it but will take it away rather than retrieve. Lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We had one that would burry it if you didn't get it in time lol.... She was really good at it in the snow....

dirtysouth36

My male retrieves almost everyone we kill. If he is pressured by the other dogs sometimes he will stay in the briars with it tho. I play alot of fetch with him at home and i think that may have helped. I just think hes a natural.