Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Back splash for the wifes kitchen

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
My wife has been bugging me for a while about a back splash for the kitchen. I put it off and put it off. Finally I decided to make it her Xmas gift. I found a guy, through a friend, that does it as a hobby now that he is retired. He came over a few weeks ago to look at the kitchen to get a scope of work. I took the wife to Lowes and let her pick the tile, we both seem to have the same taste so it worked out. I took the measurements and figured we would need about 20 tiles. I bought 25 just in case, glad I did.

This is the tile we decided to go with
843336008728.jpg

And away we go:

Before
20170114_094544.jpg

Day 1
20170115_110249.jpg

Day 2
20170116_175845.jpg

Day 3
20170116_175851.jpg

Day 4
20170118_181243.jpg

20170118_181251.jpg

Last night we put in the grout
20170119_185133.jpg

Saturday he will be coming back to do a finish wipe down and add the caulk. The tiles we chose were 12 X 12, but the space was 14" high, thankfully with the extra tiles I bought we were able to fill that gap. Im replacing the old outlet cover with new ones that will match the stainless steel look of the tiles. The wife is happy, but I wont be until its a finished job. Happy wife happy life... so they say. All told Ill have $750 in this. Not too bad.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well worth it. I put it off for 5-10 yrs as well. We agreed on a tile. She bought it. I was working. My dad and wife put them up. I got lucky. Lol

Changes the look of the whole room. Really surprised me. I'd say it will add at least $750 in value when you go to sell AND your wife is happy. Good choice Dustin!

Jamie

Ohio
A few more pics
View attachment 51409

View attachment 51410

View attachment 51411

Im thinking the next project will be painting the cabinets. We shall see.

backsplash looks very nice. I like the tile pattern.

a word of advice from a painter; painting those oak cabinets will not do them much favor. ring porous woods' grain does not fill with paint alone. I'm assuming you would paint them white or something very light off white, and I'm here to tell you it never looks good to my eye when done. it is a great deal of work to fill up the open grain with whiting or wood putty. sand, prime, fill and sand, repeat, repeat, paint, sand, paint. and if you don't do it right with the right material, they will scratch and show wear easily, which is a disaster if you actually use your kitchen on a daily basis.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
backsplash looks very nice. I like the tile pattern.

a word of advice from a painter; painting those oak cabinets will not do them much favor. ring porous woods' grain does not fill with paint alone. I'm assuming you would paint them white or something very light off white, and I'm here to tell you it never looks good to my eye when done. it is a great deal of work to fill up the open grain with whiting or wood putty. sand, prime, fill and sand, repeat, repeat, paint, sand, paint. and if you don't do it right with the right material, they will scratch and show wear easily, which is a disaster if you actually use your kitchen on a daily basis.

As someone who used to sell paint, what Jamie said it spot on.