Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wing Archery Falcon

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
A co-worker had his dads old Falcon and was looking to sell it and asked if I wanted to buy it for $20. I figured what the heck if it is junk I can at least use it for wall decor in my basement! after receiving it I looked it over, beside the normal wear and tear and some scuff marks it looks to be in working condition. It is a 62" #40 bow, I bought a Flemish string for it and put it on last night and it looks pretty cool. NOW, I need some advice, I just want to start plinking with it in the back yard. So, What brand of wood arrows would I want to purchase and any other equipment??

I know it needs a new felt pad on the riser but after that I am not sure what is needed and what's just extra!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You'll want some kind of finger protection, an arm guard is a good idea too. You do not have to shoot wood shafts from a recurve, in fact I suggest you do not. Properly spined aluminum or carbons will work well. Congratulations on a great find!

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Ok I read this and that about guys who say don't shoot carbons and guys who say you can but only with the newer bows!

Thanks for the advice! I m kinda pumped to start messing with it and having some fun out in the yard

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You can shoot whatever kind of shafting youd like. Wood is not very durable... Shop 3 Rivers, you'll find whatever you need there.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
My newest toy all strung up with a B-55 flemish string!

image3 (1).JPG

image2 (3).JPG

image1 (12).JPG

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang it I'm jealous!!! You stole that thing! I hope to have a recurve someday. I just can't seem to run across a good deal like that.

Jamie

Ohio
as Brock says, you can shoot whatever kind of arrow you want. Shooting off of the shelf requires that you shoot feather fletching. those little dinky vanes for wheelie bows will not work very well unless you use an elevated rest. Carbon will be the most readily available and the most expensive. Aluminum also readily available and nearly as expensive. Wood arrows get a bad rap only because they require more effort on your part to match them to the bow and care for them. I've have not owned an aluminum arrow since 1986 and have never owned a carbon, and I have done my share of shooting over the years, both at the range and at game. Can't say that I've ever been disappointed with the performance of my wooden arrows, but I make them myself, to my own standards, and match them very carefully in grain weight and spine. If I paid a professional fletcher to match them as I do, they would probably cost more than carbon arrows. wood arrows are a real bargain if you buy shafts and make them yourself. putting some of your time and effort into such things can be quite rewarding, which is the best reason to shoot wood arrows, imo. Carbons will certainly take the most abuse without breaking, aluminums bend which usually renders them useless. quality wood arrows are pretty resilient and will take some abuse but if you are shooting them into cement blocks, they will break every time as will carbon and aluminum. they all get lost in the grass equally well. :smile:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang Ryan, that is real cool! I have been looking off and on. Seems like I either find real heavy draw bows, or real short length ones. Or I find something with a super light draw for kids or something. If you get bored with it, let me know. If you want to play with some arrows, let me know. I bought an assortment of arrows and need to get them prepped. We could do them together over a beer or something if you'd like. I've fletched carbon arrows. It is not difficult.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Dang Ryan, that is real cool! I have been looking off and on. Seems like I either find real heavy draw bows, or real short length ones. Or I find something with a super light draw for kids or something. If you get bored with it, let me know. If you want to play with some arrows, let me know. I bought an assortment of arrows and need to get them prepped. We could do them together over a beer or something if you'd like. I've fletched carbon arrows. It is not difficult.

Sounds good! I hit ya up some time! For now I just want some thing I can dink with and then maybe some day I can take it out in the woods for some real use!