Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Artifact hunting Ohio

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I believe there are a few folks here that suffer that obsession to various degrees...

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I dont make a special trip out looking for any but i found 4 last year in the edge of the field behind the house while on the mower. I have found the most from a tractor seat tho. My dad has one hell of a collection probably over 200 pionts a few hammers and a pennant. Almost all of the point we have found have been on our property.
Here is one i found on the mower and a chip of another found 15ft away.

OO2

In the Uplands
I've heard of a guy that looked for high spots in fields and would look there in licking county. Closer to pataskala though.

i know alot about the native americans and where to look for there points, anyone ever wants to get together and go just let me know. you can find them anywhere in ohio and western PA pretty much if you look in the right spots. hey nathan next time you plow if you dont mind someone walking your dirt let me know and id love to come walk your fields, plus i can tell you alot about the artifacts you and your dad have found. If any of you guys are near me within an hour or close to that and have some fresh plowed dirt this spring and wouldnt mind someone walking through it all let me know, im always trying to get permission to search new fields. if your fields are anywhere near a spring creek or river then thats the best spots. Licking, Coshocton, and Muskingum countys are where i usaully do most of my looking for points but from what ive read any county has potential to find some.

I dont make a special trip out looking for any but i found 4 last year in the edge of the field behind the house while on the mower. I have found the most from a tractor seat tho. My dad has one hell of a collection probably over 200 pionts a few hammers and a pennant. Almost all of the point we have found have been on our property.
Here is one i found on the mower and a chip of another found 15ft away.

id love to come artifact hunt your fields with you some time if you would be interested. could you post a pic of the pendant your dad found? mi have only ever found 1 pendant and i have put some serious hours/days/weeks into walking fields starring at the ground.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Only two I ever found. The half one I found in the river in Waterville and the white one I found while bowhunting outside of Walbridge.IMG_20160425_161210967_HDR.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've never left the house specifically going artifact hunting unless it's metal detecting. My eyes never leave the ground when I'm walking through Fields however. I did find an arrowhead last year my first in Ohio I switched phones so I'll have to get another picture of it. I have however found some really cool fossils. Last year I found a golf ball-sized chunk of coral, and a fossilized shell that looks like a clam shell in sedimentary rock. I will have to take some pictures when I get home tonight