Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Operation bye bye elm

Milo

Tatonka guide.
So today was day one in my quest to screw some stuff up. For years I have wanted to rid my woods of useless trees that don't benefit wildlife. Today many, many elm trees met their maker... a good buddy, chainsaw and a promise of cold beers at the end of our work made for a great day. I only took a couple pics so you can see a little bit of the of the damage. I had several
Young oaks I wanted to get more light to as well as making funnels for deer movement. This was only a few hours of work. It was clear to me I have been sitting behind a desk too long... need to get more active

Milo

Tatonka guide.
IMG_3107.jpg. Before

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Wish I had better pics but we were choppin wood like crazy. I'm going to drag the logs up with the bobcat once I get them topped. Will be also removing the ash and anything not of value and hand taking up spots to put a bedding grass into the opened up woods

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Wil also be lots of planting down here with some new swamp white oaks, persimmon and apple trees possibly. Need to do a canopy study in the spring to see how much light I get on the benches

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I still have about 60-75 more trees to go yet.we also cut a crap load of vines. I have some old fence that needs removed also. Old farm junk that I'm tired of seeing

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Very nice! What bedding grass are you going to plant?
not completely sure yet because some areas are Standing wet while some are upland going to use the trees to dry up the wet spots. Leaning toward bluestem at the moment may add in some Egyptian wheat

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
absolutely not..i have never seen the point, cut it up and move it out. I also feel it's dangerous
Well, I don't think it's as dangerous as it seems. Most girdled trees will break up and fall down in pieces as they die. I was just curious... I know it's practiced fairly often for TSI purposes. I guess if you have the means and ability to get the wood out of there that's got to be the best option though.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well, I don't think it's as dangerous as it seems. Most girdled trees will break up and fall down in pieces as they die. I was just curious... I know it's practiced fairly often for TSI purposes. I guess if you have the means and ability to get the wood out of there that's got to be the best option though.
I have a bobcat at my disposal. When I get that in there I'm gonna tear the hell out of that place