Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Favorite foot hold sets

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
What's your favorite type of set? I'm still trying to catch my first yote in a foot hold. Thinking about putting in a step down dirt hole with a flat set 15 yards away tomorrow. I don't expect many replies because it doesn't seem like many guys are trapping on TOO.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
But I do know some of you dabbled in foot holds back in the day. I've been watching a ton of YouTube videos but hands on experience is always best. Any pics or tips would be helpful.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Chad, if you have tractor paths (Field edges work also) try urine post set. I had good luck with them for fox. I used rocks (football sized) or piece of firewood to put the urine on. A lot of them were staged before season began.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've also heard that it's good to have 70% of your sets as flat sets because sometimes the yotes get paranoid on dirt holes. I guess that all depends on the amount of trapping going on in the area also.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm only working with 6 foot holds right now, 4 MB 550's and 2 Victor 1.75's. As of now I only have 2 foot holds set, one flat set, and one dirt hole. Rick, did you squirt piss on the rock or log or just set it up before season so they started pissing on it? I probably have close to $300 in traps, baits, lures, tools, and can't catch a fuggin yote lol.

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
What's your favorite type of set? I'm still trying to catch my first yote in a foot hold. Thinking about putting in a step down dirt hole with a flat set 15 yards away tomorrow. I don't expect many replies because it doesn't seem like many guys are trapping on TOO.
I always read all of your guys post's in here. I grew up trapping. My Dad worked 4 days on, 4 days off, 12 hour days. So when he worked, mom would load my brother and I up in the van and take us to check traps in the mornings before school. I was too young at the time to really aquire too much knoweledge, but remember the excitement when on occasion we would come up on a Fox or Coyote in a foot hold trap. Most of our setups were box traps and small leg holds for rats and Coon. The occasional Mink or Fox was just awesome. And damn, the money at the end of the season when we'd sell them was crazy

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Yes, just put a squirt or two on a rock or log and hit again after rain or equal weather. You can follow your tractor paths or terrain variant and look for an object. Does not have to be a rock or log. Large tuft of grass or small tree trunk has worked. Gate posts are a natural place as well. Have even read where guys used a tire on an old piece of farm equipment. Something to keep in mind. Dominant wind is from the N or W this time of year. Your odds will go up if you keep that in mind. Coyote will not investigate if they cannot smell it.

OO2

In the Uplands
My favorite dirthole is one that catches a yote!

On a serious note I have no information to ad but curious for learning something to add to my arsenal for next year.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Put 2 footholds in today along with 2 more snares. Step down dirt hole, and a flat set. Flat set has bait, lure, and a dash of bobcat piss. Dirt hole is baited and lured.

Diablo54

Outside
Chad your backing on your dirt hole is too high. IMO. That tall grass with that set is a no no. You need a backing but not something that makes the set so intimidating. Flashy dirt holes are nice. But we always did better with a somewhat hidden trap bed. A combination of dirt and grass in the trap bed.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Hate to say it Chad. Taylor is right. A backing that tall will make a yote nervous. He is thinking he is stealing a meal from another animal and he needs to know they are not around.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Chad your backing on your dirt hole is too high. IMO. That tall grass with that set is a no no. You need a backing but not something that makes the set so intimidating. Flashy dirt holes are nice. But we always did better with a somewhat hidden trap bed. A combination of dirt and grass in the trap bed.
Well shit, what if I went out tomorrow and chopped that grass down with a machete? Right behind that grass is a 20 yard wide tree line separating a gas line from an alfalfa field. It's not like the yote can't see what's behind the dirt hole.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I appreciate the tips, fuggers. I think one of the problems I have is I read so much stuff and watch so many videos that I forget a lot of stuff. I have read before that backing like that will intimidate a yote.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Chad, that set may work. But many books and articles will tell you to use a backing a canine can see over. Will keep them from being so nervous.

oakswamper

around Toledo
I've caught 3 yotes at this set this year. The circle is where the trap is and I used a piece of rebar to make 2 small mouse like holes about 6 inches deep in the corner. I put Weiser's horse meat lure on some sheep wool and push it to the bottom of the hole then cover the set with a lot of yote urine. This spot has been hot this year