Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Generator suggestions?

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Between Father's day and X-mas I have some Home Depot gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.
I've been thinking about getting a generator so figure I might as well spend them on one. I don't know much about them, so does anyone have any brands they have been happy with or ones to avoid? Also any features that are must haves? It would only be for powering a few things during a power loss (probably would just do with long heavy duty extensions versus putting a transfer switch in) and taking to the farm and such to be able to run power tools while away from the building.
For price point I'd be willing to spend up to $1,000 if folks feel the additional power/features are worth it.
Also, does Home Depot run any sort of specials at any time of the year on them?
Thanks for any input.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you know a veteran have them purchase it for you.... 10% discount for vets....

5cent (Adam) is well versed on them as is JohnR as they both run them...

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
A lot is going to depend on what all you want to power. If you are looking for something to power important appliances in the house in a power failure you are going to want to go a little bigger than what is needed to run power tools. The bigger it is though is going to make it more of a pain to take out on the farm.

My biggest advice is to get something that runs quieter. They are more costly but well worth the money. I use a small Honda. It is very convenient and quiet. Best thing is I know when needed it is going to start right up. Can't remember what John R has but know it is quiet as well.

The Inverter Generators are nice for packing around as they are light, very quiet, and very easy on Fuel. I have a Champion 2000 KW Inverter Generator and it will run a 10,000 BTU air conditioner at camp for 6+ hrs on a tank of fuel. It hold just 1 gal of fuel, so it is very efficient. However they are expensive vs a conventional generator. They can run sensitive electronics though as they power they supply is constant at any RPM. However it would be kinda light if you are running some bigger power tools. I just borrow my FIL's 8000 KW Conventional Generator if I need to do that. Honda has the best reviews out there for the smaller generators. I bought the Champion on sale at Cabelas. It was a good deal and I had a bunch of points so it was alot cheaper than a Honda.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have several but would not call myself any sort of generator salesman. I bought one for the tractor which runs off the PTO. It is designed to run everything. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it. I have a couple 2500-3500 watt generators I have bought used. They are okay but their gas tanks are so small they run out often. The one idles down when no load is being pulled. I thought that was the ticket. It is fairly quiet at idle. Unfortunately, even with just the fridge and lights on in the camper it is not at idle. Full noise and small tank. Most times I use our 5500 watt generator. It has powered sump pump and fridges/freezers during outages lasting a couple days. (I didn't have my PTO generator at this time.) I use it on job sites occasionally to run power tools as well. It has enough juice to run power tools. It is just an awkward pig to lug in/out of a truck by yourself. I don't remember the brand but I doubt it matters. I'm sure most of them are made in the same place and branded for whichever company is going to market it. Unless you jump into a Honda, Yamaha, or dedicated generator company, I'd "guess" most box store generators come from the same factory.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Based on wanting to power a few items during a power outage and want to run some tools, I would recommend something in the 4000-7500watt range. Even those are going to be a bear to move (gonna need 2ppl) or buy two small ones and daisy chain. 2 small ones will give you flexibility but will require more maintenance.

If not needing an inverter style, I would do a Generac as big as you can afford that still is within the weight range of what you want to move.

Champion has treated me extremely well (4k/3.5k) version for travel trailer camping/home use and came thru on a replacement part 4+yrs out of warranty and walked me thru how to close an open ground without hesitation. Yammies and Hondas are great for inverter models but $1K wont get you much.

Buckmaster

Portage
Jesse and I have Generac 5500 series. I bought mine in the 35th hour of a 36 hour power outage to run my fridge and freezer. I haven't used mine yet.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I think I'll keep an eye out for a sale on the Generac 5500 to 7500 models.
I also just took a peek on the local Craigslist and see a never-used Generac 5500 for $500. May be worth a low-ball to him and use my gift cards for something else......
Wonder if the neighbors will think I'm nuts when I use it to run my electric hedge trimmer! I hate stringing those damn extension cords together anyhow.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I think I'll keep an eye out for a sale on the Generac 5500 to 7500 models.
I also just took a peek on the local Craigslist and see a never-used Generac 5500 for $500. May be worth a low-ball to him and use my gift cards for something else......
Wonder if the neighbors will think I'm nuts when I use it to run my electric hedge trimmer! I hate stringing those damn extension cords together anyhow.

lmao.... Although you may anger your neighbors in using it, it'll get used and keep a fresh flow of gas thru it lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
lmao.... Although you may anger your neighbors in using it, it'll get used and keep a fresh flow of gas thru it lol

Great point. Not regularly using a generator is hard on them. Makes me worry about the PTO powered one I own.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Holy Fugg! I just looked up a youtube video of the Generac 5500. LOUD!!!
Better hook it up on the side of the house with the damn neighbors barking dog. Might just run it for fun once in a while.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse and I have Generac 5500 series. I bought mine in the 35th hour of a 36 hour power outage to run my fridge and freezer. I haven't used mine yet.

I use mine on occasion just to run it and am pleased with the purchase. I also bought mine "after the fact" and have not had to use it for the house yet. We did haul it out to build our duck blind one year and that was awesome. I'll be doing the same when we build the box blind this spring.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Great point. Not regularly using a generator is hard on them. Makes me worry about the PTO powered one I own.

If you own one, you should run it monthly for about 20 minutes....

That way if/when you need it it'll run like it's supposed too....

Buckmaster

Portage
If you own one, you should run it monthly for about 20 minutes....

That way if/when you need it it'll run like it's supposed too....

I'm guilty. I ran the gas out of mine and put Stabil in. .....and so she sits with a tarp over her. Hope she starts when I need her the most.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm guilty. I ran the gas out of mine and put Stabil in. .....and so she sits with a tarp over her. Hope she starts when I need her the most.
Put stabil in, THEN run the gas out of it. It'll fire up like brand new whenever you're ready for it.