Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ideas??

killbucks22

nw ohio
I want to plant roughly a 1-2 acre food plot on some land I just bought...my cousin is going to work the ground for me to get it ready to plant but other than that I don't have the equipment to do much more like corn/beans..so I'm leaning more on planting clovers or something along those lines. Anyone have any suggestions? Or food products they would highly recommend that doesn't involve much work and produces good product? Man I sound lazy but I'm really not I just don't have the equipment or money to go overboard with it

Clover/chicory mix is probably the easiest and one of the best hunting plots that you can do. I have fooled with alot of other stuff, but when it comes down to it clover is hard to beat. Clover is usually good for 4 or 5 years before needing replanted. You may want to do a soil test to see what lime/fertilizer you need.

I don't have any preferred product. Not sure really if one is better than the other. I usually try to find something cheap. You may be able to buy from a local feed mill or coop alot cheaper especially if there isn't a buck on a bag.

killbucks22

nw ohio
Awesome man thanks for your input..I'm new to the food plots and there's many options to go with. I really think I'm gonna try the clover mix!

jlane

dunn nc
KB22, if you have a couple acres to work with, I,d plant different stuff, maybe 1/4 acre plots and see what the deer prefer, what i.v seen deer in different places prefer different foods,
In southern ohio I lucked out when planting this year,(turnips, rape, rye, and radish.
Last year i planted clover and wheat, they came and ate but not near as good as this year.
Make sure your soil is right, just because you have greens and so what, doesn't mean the deer will love it.
Getting the soil right not only makes it grow the best, it also makes the plot taste sweeter and the comeback is better.
Another good idea is to throw a little corn(not nessasarly to make kernels) but to have something standing tall so the deer feels safe while out in the plot.
Also check what times of the year to plant to yeild best results.
hope this helps you a little.