Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

45-70 Choices???

I'm considering the purchase of a 45-70 Govt. in a lever-action rifle. As it stands, I prefer the Marlin models, over all others for my own reasons. Having said that...I might consider a Henry. :smiley_chinrub:

Here are my choices of Marlin rifles, in this order:
1. 1895 Cowboy 26" barrel.
2. 1895 Classic 22" barrel.
3. 1895 GBL 18.5" barrel. This is the "guide gun".

I'd like to hear your thoughts on:
A: Accuracy.
B: Recoil differences between stock styles (straight and pistol grip).
C: Reasons for your barrel length preferences.

As a last choice, is the Henry with the 18.5" barrel. The only problem I have with the Henry is the tube magazine loading method.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Buckmaster,
The 1895 XLR is a good looking rifle and I wish they made it in 45-70 too. There's a slight increased improvement in the ballistics with the 45-70 and a larger selection of brass. I'm still favoring the 1895 Cowboy. However, that XLR is a good looking rifle. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
not trying to hijack the thread here but just seen where the odnr is saying any straight wall between .357 and .50 will be legal now. so that may open up some more options for you to look into.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
not trying to hijack the thread here but just seen where the odnr is saying any straight wall between .357 and .50 will be legal now. so that may open up some more options for you to look into.

I was told, by a very reliable source, that when the law was passed the plan was after a few years the cartridge restriction would be the same as it is for pistols.