Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WTB Looking for rifle chambered in .357

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'd really like to have a rifle chambered in .357mag or better yet .357max
I love my Ruger GP100 revolver, and would like to have a rifle chambered in the same caliber.

Shoulda bought this one
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/607792390

Keep your eyes open for me if you see one. I know it's gonna be tough trying to find one.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You looking for used or new Danno? Price range?

Man, they are proud of those guns aren't they????

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
You Danno, just pick me up another. Love it!

Following this as I will want one. I may go Henry.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Sweet looking rig there Charles.
Funny thing, I bought the Ruger GP100 because I didn't own a revolver, so I sussed it out and came to the conclusion that the plain jane blue 6" barrel was what I'd get. Now it's turned in to my favorite pistol. My FFL guy runs a shop out of his place in Waynesville, he's the one who turned me on to the 38/357 caliber. When I started thinking about a rifle for straight wall cartridge (a topic I knew nothing about), I learned on the interweb-google machine that there was such a thing as .357 rifle. I asked him about it and he pulled out a .357Max cartridge and proceeded to expound on it's benefits.

If I had to have instant gratification, I'd look for a 45-70 or a 444marlin, as those seem to be more readily available.
But I'm gonna look for the .357 for a while, hopefully a Max, and see what happens.
And I'd really rather have a single shot instead of a lever gun.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Dan have you considered buying. 357 mag rifle and taking it to a gunsmith and having it reamed out for the max caliber? Might be the cheaper way to go. I would talk to a gunsmith before buying but I'm sure it's very doable

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
@Milo - yes, my guy told me if I found an old H&R .357 mag it could be reamed out, "he knows a guy..."
So I looked through 16 pages of google hits on .357 max last night and came on another forum having basically the same discussion, and one of the posters shared this cool link: http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=121
Lots of good info there.

I also came on a thread from 3 or 4 years ago on TOO where Adam basically started the same discussion.

I think my best hope is to just keep searching the web and pushing word of mouth.

I'm also going to go to Cabelas or somewhere and handle a TC platform and see if it "fits", then if I like it I can pursue that angle too.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dan, Sam has the encore platform with a Straight walled cartridge and he likes them, is hit him up for some info as well...

Lundy

I have two H&R handi rifles in .357 MAX. You will like that caliber. I am shooting 180 gr Horandy SPP, 1680 powder at 2550 FPS and very accurate. It is a very effective 150 yd point and shoot round. It is very capable of longer ranges for sure but out to 150 it is easy, easy, easy, with no worry about where to hold, just put the crosshair where you want the bullet to impact. My daughter-in -law killed a buck at around 140, perfect shoot, went around 20 yds. Very little recoil.

It is not an easy caliber to own however. You must buy brass and bullets when they are available, which isn't all of the time. Over 14 months I acquired two guns and enough brass, bullets and powder to last me for as long as I will every need, but it was a task to accomplish.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Good fortune smiled sweetly upon me, and today I won a Gunbroker auction for a Handi-Rifle in .357 mag
When I get it, I'm going to send the barrel to a gunsmith in Utah to have it rechambered in .357 max
When I get the barrel back, I'll put a scope on it and start to begin to commence to shootin' with it.
In the meantime, now the search is on for brass.

Thanks guys for the input

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Thanks Giles.

And Lundy, if you want to share info about what load and bullet you're runnin', well, that would be welcome.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Good fortune smiled sweetly upon me, and today I won a Gunbroker auction for a Handi-Rifle in .357 mag
When I get it, I'm going to send the barrel to a gunsmith in Utah to have it rechambered in .357 max
When I get the barrel back, I'll put a scope on it and start to begin to commence to shootin' with it.
In the meantime, now the search is on for brass.

Thanks guys for the input

So. Can you then shoot everything from a 38, 38spe and 357/mag's in the long gun too if in a bind ?

Last edited:

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Starline is selling 357 max brass 250 for $97.50. USE 180 grain bullets. I have a contender in a 14" barrel.
I think the guy named Bellem would set you up with a rifle barrel.