Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NC deer drives

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
The season ends in North Carolina on Monday so my boys and me are out with buddies doing some drives. My boys waiting to get the next drive set up.

I love the time I get to spend with them left to right 21,10,17

at1010

*Supporting Member*
be safe. Never was a fan of drives due to the dangers they can impose. If done correctly boy can they be effective.

I hope you all have a fun/safe/enjoyable hunt!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good clean fun right there! I've only hunted one time with a group of really effective drivers. One of the memorable hunting experiences of my life. If most of them were not already passed on I'd really love to join them again!

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
We did 3 drives with 3 walkers and 8 shooters and we didn't see a thing. The guy organizing is a stickler for safety, sent a text with a map showing where every shooter was, and how they would be walking. He only let's us use buck shot, everyone has to wear an orange vest and hat (NC you only have to wear a hat) so it is safe. The property has plenty of deer, guess we were in the wrong spots.

Still was a great time.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
We did 3 drives with 3 walkers and 8 shooters and we didn't see a thing. The guy organizing is a stickler for safety, sent a text with a map showing where every shooter was, and how they would be walking. He only let's us use buck shot, everyone has to wear an orange vest and hat (NC you only have to wear a hat) so it is safe. The property has plenty of deer, guess we were in the wrong spots.

Still was a great time.

Dang was hoping for some harvest pictures. Well happy you all had fun!!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
. Dangers they impose? I don't see how they impose any dangers.

Impose means= to force. Probably not the best word choice as drives don't force people to make bad choices but they do put people in situations where they make quick decisions and sometimes they are bad ones.

My apologies for the unclear word choice.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Impose means= to force. Probably not the best word choice as drives don't force people to make bad choices but they do put people in situations where they make quick decisions and sometimes they are bad ones.

My apologies for the unclear word choice.
Im involved in deer drives all the time, I understand what you were saying. I see so many other groups do some real sketchy shit while doing deer drives. Just scary to even watch. Our group is completely psycho anal about safety. We really stress directional shooting, and not deviating from the plans.

I understand why deer drives are sometimes a heated topic. There are quite a few groups in my area that are complete slobs. They chase deer with cars, trespass through everything, and throw lead at anything that moves

Last edited:

Blan37

SW Ohio
Im involved in deer drives all the time, I understand what you were saying. I see so many other groups do some real sketchy shit while doing deer drives. Just scary to even watch. Our group is completely psycho anal about safety. We really stress directional shooting, and not deviating from the plans.

I understand why deer drives are sometimes a heated topic. There are quite a few groups in my area that are complete slobs. They chase deer with cars, trespass through everything, and throw lead at anything that moves

You mean like this? At one point early in the video (20 seconds) you hear shots going over the guys heads. Also shooting uphill at a buck at 40 seconds. Looks like complete chaos to me:

[video=youtube;X8eKVqCvPQQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8eKVqCvPQQ[/video]