Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snow Bunnies

Renovator

IMG_7492.jpgIMG_7493.jpg

Hit the property we were at on Christmas Eve. Has a lot of open area, and windy. Did not see any fresh tracks. Ended up with one run, the rabbit holed up fast. We decided to do some good old-fashioned door knocking. No luck on the first door. The second stop we got permission to hunt a nice 75 acre property. Within 5 minutes the girls had one running. It circled back to the gun, and the race was over in one shot. About 10 minutes later, had another one going. This one lasted about 45 minutes, then the rabbit holed up. It slowed down for a bit. I was following a fresh track into a brush pile. Where tracks ended, I kicked the brush pile and up came a bunny in the heavy snow. I shot it without the dogs. We headed to one more small place that we have never tried. It was about 15 acres. It had a lot of nice cover along a creek. We found a good amount of tracks, and a good amount of holes above the creek. Along the back side, about a half hour later, the girls got another one going. They had trouble staying with it. Every time I was about to call them back, they seemed to get it going again. The chase lasted about an hour. My friend saw it twice, but never had a good shot. We'll have to get that one another day, it was a large, mature buck. We fought windy conditions and blowing snow. Not ideal, but that's the life of rabbit hunting.