Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Savage 220

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Last year my recoil lad started to have a tear in it on top, it ripped off this season and about a 1/8-1/4 is missing. It's a softer material then a lot of the older style recoil pads and although I liked it I was t happy how it held up. Emailed Savage with a picture of it and they responded and said they have two versions of it, the one I currently have and one that's a little stiffer and more durable.... Fast forward they're mailing one (more durable) to me on the 3rd of January when they open back up from the holiday shutdown.....

I'd say for anyone who has a recoil pad issue on their Savage send them a picture and get an updated one....

Other then taking a week or so to respond (holiday season) I'm happy with their response to the matter. The gun is 4 years old and they never asked for any proof of age or if I was the original owner or not....

IMG_8142.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Why you letting squirrels chew on you gun, J??? Haha

Actually I went the opposite direction. When I bought mine it had the stiff recoil pad on it. I compared it to my brother's which had the softer one and I took it back to The Fin, where they swapped it out for me. The stiffer pad is like a rock compared to the soft one. I like the softer one. Mine has held up fine for 4 years... No cuts or tears. But I appreciate the thread, J. Definitely good to know Savage stands behind their product.

Fletch

Supporting Member
"J" Great to see they back their product and took care of you.... But you better start packing a lunch on those all day sit's... That rubber is hard on the digestive tract....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
"J" Great to see they back their product and took care of you.... But you better start packing a lunch on those all day sit's... That rubber is hard on the digestive tract....

Well it's all about fiber later in life Fletch lmao

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That's awesome. Glad they stepped up and took care of the issue. Hopefully you like the new pad. Keep us updated when you get it installed and let us know how it feels.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Well it's all about fiber later in life Fletch lmao

Ah... Fiber later in life.. At 66 I hear ya on this issue.. Actually I have a Remington slug gun that for some reason the recoil pad has become very sticky, to the fact that when in a soft case for any period of time, it adheres to the case and has to be pulled apart. Lets see if Remington stands behind their product..

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ah... Fiber later in life.. At 66 I hear ya on this issue.. Actually I have a Remington slug gun that for some reason the recoil pad has become very sticky, to the fact that when in a soft case for any period of time, it adheres to the case and has to be pulled apart. Lets see if Remington stands behind their product..

I actually liked the one that came with it but if they've got one that's going to last, I'd prefer that lol.... The old one was soft and almost non slip type rubber but if it ain't going to last, what's the use of having it... Plus while hunting you never feel anything at the shot anyways....

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Nice good TOO know. I almosy bought one few years back but never did

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well it arrived today and I swapped it out.... Seems a little stiffer and about an 1/8-3 1/16 shorter then the old one... Easy to remove and install, took less then 5 minutes to swap out...

Shouldered it a few times and seems too fit pretty good... All in all in happy with it as long as it holds up lol

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

I will say that if you have a savage with a recoil pad, if it's got a few seasons on it, pull the screws out of it and either replace them or wire brush them as mine (new pad came with new screws) had some corrosion on them.....

Last edited: