Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dye/Wax Suggestions

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm going to spring for some new traps.... rotflmao

I was not impressed with the stuff I bought last year and would like to try something different this time around. What's the preferred method for you guys? You doing your snares too?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Put a nail or a link of your chain in the jaws of your trap before boiling in dye. Beeswax is the best. Get it hot enough to where it is just starting to smoke. Leave trap in there long enough to get as hot as the wax. It should run off fast and leave a thin film.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Put a nail or a link of your chain in the jaws of your trap before boiling in dye. Beeswax is the best. Get it hot enough to where it is just starting to smoke. Leave trap in there long enough to get as hot as the wax. It should run off fast and leave a thin film.
I've heard that beeswax has a scent to it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Probably not as bad as your underwear Fudgepants.lol

Those underwear?

Blan37

SW Ohio
Chad you're one sick dude lol

I've used logwood on snares and it works well. I've heard some guys use spray paint.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Chad you're one sick dude lol

I've used logwood on snares and it works well. I've heard some guys use spray paint.
I'll take that as a compliment. I've also heard of guys using spray paint, but it seems to me that the paint would slow the snare down.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Go into your name brand Trapping Supply Houses and see what kind of wax they offer for sale. Some people mix paraffin with it because it's cheaper but Beeswax is tougher if you dig your nails into the cake