Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Faulty Remington 700 Rifle

Buckrun

I would bet that most if not all the triggers that malfunctioned were messed with by the consumer or someone before they got the rifle. Whether they will admit that they did something to lighten the trigger pull is the million dollar question.

I like my Remingtons.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I would bet that most if not all the triggers that malfunctioned were messed with by the consumer or someone before they got the rifle. Whether they will admit that they did something to lighten the trigger pull is the million dollar question.

I like my Remingtons.

The problem with that theory is that during the lawsuit Remington documents (including one from 1948, before production, where the designer wanted to change the trigger)were produced that showed Remington knew of an issue with a very small percentage of it's rifles. One of the issues was Remington's old safety where you had to disengage the safety to unload the rifle. I personally know of an accident that happened to a local guy that way. 2 guys were moose hunting in a canoe, they came to shore and the one went to unload and the rifle discharged hitting the other guy in the leg. Of course if the rifles were pointed in a safe direction most accidents never would have happened but still Remington made some poor choices along the way.

Probably over 99% of Remington 700 triggers function properly. The new designs have shown no issues at all.

FredT

SE Ohio
My 3 Remingtons work great. I have never seen a bad, not working safety nor even heard of someone who owned one. But I will be anally aware to keep them pointed in a safe direction at all times because of this.