Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Static in your Blachorn 209 Powder?????

Fletch

Supporting Member
So this year I got a CVA Acurra MR to gain a little distance over my 870 slug gun. Mainly when hunting out in Illinois. So after reading how great BH209 was I worked up some loads and went to the range. After weighing precise loads out and filling plastic tubes with the charges, I ran into a problem. When I dumped the charge down the barrel a lot of the powder clung to the sides of the tube. Tap it on the gun barrel and it only danced around clinging to the sides... Why be precise measuring when its not all going in the barrel. So I asked on a muzzle loader forum and got a solution. When the tubes are new. Wipe them out with a DRIER SHEET... Well it worked... Thought I'd give you guys a heads up...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good to know.... I would imagine as long as the powder is inside the barrel that when you install the sabot it would also bring all the clingy powder with it???

Fletch

Supporting Member
Good to know.... I would imagine as long as the powder is inside the barrel that when you install the sabot it would also bring all the clingy powder with it???

"J" That were my thoughts also... I didn't find out the fix till I got back from Illinois, so on my way out I picked up 777 pellets. I must admit they shot very well and were much easier.

Fletch

Supporting Member
That's what I use as well...

"J" What bullet you shooting? I was shooting a Barnes T-EZ 250 grain with 2 Triple 7 Magnum pellets. I got very good groups and felt very confident shooting 150 yds. out in Illinois. BUT... With the wind howling and the tree swaying the way it was, it would have been hard to hit the broadside of a barn..

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
"J" What bullet you shooting? I was shooting a Barnes T-EZ 250 grain with 2 Triple 7 Magnum pellets. I got very good groups and felt very confident shooting 150 yds. out in Illinois. BUT... With the wind howling and the tree swaying the way it was, it would have been hard to hit the broadside of a barn..

Shock Waves, yellow tip (don't remember the grains off the top of my head lol) best grouping @ 100 is 1" groups with 2, 50 grain pellets....

Last edited:

Lundy

It is not the power that is "clingy" it is the plastic and all loose powder T7, Pyrodex, smokeless, will all want to hang to the sides of the tubes,

I'm glad the 777 pellets shot well for you and if you don't want or need to added velocity or cleanliness of BH209 over T7 pellets you are good to go for sure. Pellets are convenient.

Fletch

Supporting Member
It is not the power that is "clingy" it is the plastic and all loose powder T7, Pyrodex, smokeless, will all want to hang to the sides of the tubes,

I'm glad the 777 pellets shot well for you and if you don't want or need to added velocity or cleanliness of BH209 over T7 pellets you are good to go for sure. Pellets are convenient.

Lundy... You are 100% correct.. Its not the powder, but the plastic container its being stored in. 777 pellets were a quick fix.. I'll be back to BH209 next year for the cleanliness of it..