Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Weird acting deer

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Almost forgot this story. So, the first day of gun season we were pulling up to this tiny thicket we push that has 3 treelines around it. While getting guys set up I pointed out a spot in a small finger of a treeline that looked like a deer. I was dismissed as crazy because it was only 50 yards off the road. Fast forward to after the push, m y buddy Dan is walking out and looks down that finger that branches off and actually sees that it is a young 6 point just laying there watching the show. He asked one of our younger hunters if he was interested but he was holding out for something larger. So Dan walked towards this deer and basically took a selfie with it. The deer finally stood up at 5 yards and kinda half walked, half trotted as if he was pissed we fugged with him. He went 50 yards to another treeline and stood there as we left.

So the next day we are driving by that same thicket, and sure as shit that little buck is laying right back in that same spot not 50 yards from the road. Our older buddy Jack happened to be with us and is a meat hunter. He's the guy that says a prayer for our group every day and is just thankful anytime he can get a deer in the freezer. So he decided he would shoot this deer. Well, Jack walks out there and the deer just lays there. Jack gets close but at a bad angle and attempts a neck/head shot, and misses about 4 inches high. The deer just looked at him never moving. So Jack walks around to 20 yards and the dder lets him steady and put one behind his shoulder for a quick kill. I was curious when he gutted it if it was previously hit by a car, but there was no signs of internal trauma. And when we butchered it the next evening, not a single bruise or mark other than the shot. Only thing I can think is maybe he took a blow to the head by another deer or car.

Has anyone ever seen this before outside of city deer?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
God bless him, Jack shot the winder licker deer. Poor thing never had a chance. lmao

I joke, but I do wonder if it was born that way or had a head injury like you said. That is pretty odd. Only other option that comes to mind is if someone has been feeding that one since birth. Maybe he is old enough now, got carried away with rut activity, ended up turned around from his human parents?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow! That was weird Ryan!

About 8 years ago during the first day of gun season I was hunting our farm just standing next to a tree halfway up a hillside overlooking several crossings that crossed this small holler above and below my position. After 3-4 hours I noticed the little symmetrical 6 pt crossing above me about 50 yards away. He was just walking on through like a bored husband does with a blank stare following the wife through the mall while she goes in and out of every store. He cut off us route then started down the far bank angling right towards me. As he slowly made his way up my side of this holler I realized this little dumb SOB might just walk right into me!!! Sure as shit he finally looked up right at me and we locked eyeballs at about 4-5 yards away!!! He never flinched or acted nervous a bit in fact he walked up to me like he was a petting zoo animal to just an arm lengths away then I kinda whispered, "Really?!?!"and slowly raised my hand up towards him to keep him from walking into me! Lmao
He just veered off to my right so close I could easily have smacked him on the ass as he walked away. He walked slightly up hill and away from me not even looking back at me and I had a bright hunter orange vest and hat on during this episode TOO!

I remember wondering if he was killed the rest of that week! It was an encounter I'll never forget!

Lundy

Probably had some human interaction at some point in his life and didn't associate humans with any personal danger. Guess he was wrong about that.

I posted on here a year ago about my friend that had the button buck walk up to him in the woods as he was walking to his stand and the deer came up and started nuzzling him. He took a selfie hugging the deer and fed him a snickers bar. The deer followed him back to his truck.

I have had many does over the years that come and watch me fill the corn feeders, one yearling was coming way too close and I told her to get the hell away from me. Had she come up and wanted to be petted my hunting would have been over!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Only other option that comes to mind is if someone has been feeding that one since birth. Maybe he is old enough now, got carried away with rut activity, ended up turned around from his human parents?

That's exactly what one of my buddy's said. He may have been basically somebody's pet and wandered away during the rut with no instinct to avoid human contact. I bet he taste's the same as the ones that make us chase them though, haha

Buckmaster

Portage
Growing up as a kid we had the Hiram College Biological Station nearby. It was a basically a small zoo for the college kids to run and learn things about animals.
On occasion, their animals would escape and/or be set free.

Once a young button buck made an appearance on my buddy's back patio. I happened to be there that day and got to pet that deer. He wandered up to the house, let us pet him, and then he wandered back into the woods. I heard stories later that someone had made an orange collar for him to keep him safe. Urban legend said the deer had a name but I forgot it,,,,Freddy maybe?....but I did get see him and pet him.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Last year my brother filmed himself feeding a small doe grass out of his hand he walked up on her going to the stand she came right to him but was still a little spooky. My buddy shot his first deer ever by whistling at it when he was walking out of the field deer came right to him a couple weeks later a neighbor girl stopped and asked us if we had seen her pet deer it hadn't came back for awhile I still razz him about that.