Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Management Units

I thought I remember reading somewhere a while back about Ohio going to Deer Management Units instead of the county units like they do now. Is that going to happen? I know PA uses what they call WMU for allocating antlerless licenses and setting seasons for deer and other species.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
How would this be better than by county?
For example, northern stark county more resembles the habitat of summit county, which is the group that wmu will be in. Western stark resembles that of Wayne county, flatter farm land. Southern stark, resembles the habitat of Tuscarawas county and will be grouped that way.

Not saying PA's system is better or worse, but this is how PA's system works for deer. Everyone gets a buck tag with their license. Then for doe they have allocations per management unit. They then have 3 rounds of doe licenses and you can get 1 tag in each round. Once the allocation is up in that management unit, no more doe tags can be sold for that unit. Some units you will likely only get 1 tag, but in a couple you can get 3 if you apply early. There are also a couple of Units around Pittsburgh and Philly that you can get unlimited tags after a date if there is some left.

nis1

Here's the map. I think it's a great idea and should help more specifically manage deer numbers.