Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

the heavy 9

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
this season started off me picking up a new property in an area i know has some good deer, me and a buddy started running cams in june on the property and it was very slow until the first week of september the bucks started showing up big time i knew it was gonna be a good spot for the rut because it is loaded with does but with the bucks showing up like they were we decided to hunt there the first couple of weeks and its where i shot the big 8 low the second weekend of season, i hadnt wounded a deer for along time and especially not a big one so it took the wind out of my sails. i was able to get out and harvest a doe with my daughter in the blind again this year and her telling me she knew i was gonna get a big buck kept me going out, the rut and gun season came and went i played guide for everyone more than hunting for myself so i was frustrated with how it was going. i bow hunted a few more days between the end of gun and the two day gun hunt but didnt have a buck sighting even driving watching the fields i didnt see a buck anywhere. well the 2 day gun was gonna be my next chance to hunt i had offered my dad a spot at our main farm we hunt where i had been sitting and have pictures of a big 150 inch 10 point. he said he was gonna go there so i decided to go back to where i spent most of the season i knew the deer would be on the fields just a matter of being there when they were. well saturday morning i woke up to a ice skating rink like most everyone did and after the 35 minute drive that usually takes 20 i pull up to the field and turn in and see theres deer in it still so i park they walked off and my buddy pulls up behind me to grab the shotgun i was letting him borrow. i told him there were deer over the hill in the corn field and i was gonna wait for it to get day light before i venture back to the stand. well he takes off to go to the other spot and i get ready i have all my gear out shut the truck door and stand in front of the truck for a few minutes to see the deer are working there way back to me. i start glassing and see theres a good buck in the group i look at my phone and its 7:10 so i stand there watching and decide to try and get to the power line against a pole for the shot it was way to loud for that and the does heard me but didnt run so i dropped to my knee and looked at my phone again it was 7:20 so i pulled up found the buck just about that time the does trotted off he thru his head up to look at them and i let him have it he fell right where he stood. i called dad to tell him then went to check him out i didnt really know what i shot i told dad i either shot a giant or a dink turns out it was a solid 9 point. when i got to him i knew what deer he was from a few pics i had of him during the rut, we called him the heavy 9 as soon as we seen him on camera and i told my buddy i wasnt sure if i would shoot him if i had the chance well it turns out i would. after the rough season i had im tickled with him hes not the giants i was chasing this year but i said i wasnt gonna get hung up on one of the big ones like i always do and to kill him on a farm i just picked up this year makes it even better i was starting to think i had lost my touch on getting one in range even tho there was alot of luck involved in this hunt im still not sure why they didnt leave the field when i pulled in. i wish i could say i was froze and soaked to the bone but that wasnt the case on this one i walked 150 yards out to him then back to the truck then drove the truck to him to load him up probably the quickest and easiest hunt ill ever have.

Attachments

• 9point16.jpg
    9point16.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 324
  • trail9.jpg
    trail9.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_20161217_091115131_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161217_091115131_HDR.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_20161217_074800994.jpg
    IMG_20161217_074800994.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 288
  • kidsnbuck16.jpg
    kidsnbuck16.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 314
  • cemetery buck.jpg
    cemetery buck.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 287

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Congrats Josh. Sometimes we all need a little luck. You worked hard this year and it paid off.

Love the knife! Lucas is smiling ear to ear. Great job buddy.

Last edited:

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Josh, that last picture has to be a 8x10 next too your mount!!!! Wow.... Powerful buddy....
I've been able to shoot 2 bucks since he's been gone and I've taken both out there to take pictures with them. He was my hunting buddy he wanted to go with me every time i went. when we lost him I almost gave up hunting all together but it's the only thing that kept me going besides having his sister to take care of and now his brother Cooper the hardest thing I have to do know is to make sure they know who he was.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Josh, that last picture has to be a 8x10 next too your mount!!!! Wow.... Powerful buddy....

I agree! Congratulations Josh! Great write up and very nice buck! Hey, you gotta love and take those, "right place right time" hunts whenever you get them buddy!

Thanks for sharing!:smiley_coolpeace: