Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First ohio deer

scottofalltrades

I'm not exactly proud of the shot placement, but I'm proud of the patience I showed this season. This has been the first season I've actually hunted in Ohio and the first time I've hunted deer in over a decade. I was lucky enough to be granted permission to hunt the farm we get our milk from. I've passed up some better spots on the property to be able to get the does that are terrorizing his garden.

Went out Sunday afternoon with the muzzy in my blind, a little more excited than normal because another hunter had killed a nice 8 point on the opposite end of the farm that morning. I sat in at 2:30 and my toes were cold by 3. The farmer was a little loud at about 4:30, brings hay down and stuff.

I saw one doe and then two others walk out in the leased field next door, exactly where I hoped they would. I lined up my shot and BLAM! All three does hopped and moved about 10 feet because I had missed. I was pretty upset with myself, but the deer gods were with me. All three came back to the same spot. I very loudly reloaded and fired a second shot.

Instant drop. Walked out to her and the shot was wild. I had hit her in the cheek and blown some matter out her ear. Again, I am not proud of the shot and know that I need to probably re-sight this thing, but mission accomplished.

Thanks to everyone that helped me out this year, it's greatly appreciated.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One you'll realize is when hunting farms, there's always something going on and the deer usually get used too it lol.....

Congrats on the doe and enjoy the meals she'll provide....