Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

700+ acres f Wayne national forest sold for fracking

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well it wasn't "sold", it was leased. Big difference. Secondly, it'll have no impact on the surface. So unless you're anti-fracking in general, there's no need to be concerned. If anything, be concerned about what they'll do with the $1.7 million.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Saw this earlier in the month and saw where they closed the offices to limit the protests on the matter... Like Jesse said be more worried about where the monies going.....

Gordo

Athens County
Can't believe shit you read on the facebook. To correct them or not on the fact it was leased.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here's the thing that cracks me up about Athens hippies. There's a disposal well (for brine) in Athens County in Torch. They barely protested that and by nature, those are more "dangerous" for the water supply (main argument against fracking) than the actual act of fracturing the shale. Mess with the trees, get the horns. Slip in a disposal well in an area no one cares about and not a word is said

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
No worries.
I have deer milling all around me when we are drilling. It takes them no time at all to get use to the noise and such. I could probably kill more deer around a established drilling pad than in my own woods...

For the most part the people that own their mineral rights are for it and the one's that don't are opposed. At least that is how it works around here. From what I have seen around Washington/Monroe County area, it would probably do alot of local people some good if they were able to sell their gas to make some income. As long as it is done responsibly, I see no harm in it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here is the letter I wrote to support the project. It was signed by our CEO and sent to WNF headquarters...

RE: Kehota Vegetation Management Project – Wayne National Forest Athens Ranger District

In 1865, the man who would eventually become the first Chief Forester of the US Forest Service was born in central Connecticut. Gifford Pinchot was a pioneer in forest management reform. He strongly supported the planned use and renewal of the nation’s forest resources. Pinchot promoted scientific forestry and placed heavy emphasis on the controlled use of forest and natural resources for the “greater good” of mankind. Today, thanks to Pinchot and his family, roughly one-third of the United States is forested, with over 8 million acres of forest growing here in Ohio.

Ohio’s forest and wood products industry represents a substantial and sustainable resource base that is vital to the economic success of the 32-county Appalachian region of Ohio. From the foresters to sawmills, from loggers to value-added manufacturers, forest and wood products provide 26,000 jobs and over $5 billion dollars annually to the economy in Appalachia Ohio. Gifford Pinchot’s vision was deftly carried forward by the US Forest Service and Ohioans who benefit from forest and wood products $25 billion dollar statewide economic contribution, can thank the US Forest Service for their leadership along the way.

The recent Kehota Vegetation Management Project proposed by the Forest Service is another project in a long line of sound, scientific forest management practices. A recent publication by Mississippi State University (MSU) on Forestry Myths and Misconceptions, touches on the sensitive nature of “clear cuts” and “pine forest deserts”. In this release, MSU discusses the lifespan of pine plantations (30-60 years) and the need to thin pine forests to increase “understory browse and plant growth for wildlife.” Additionally, MSU acknowledges that clearcutting is “OK” and they go on to state “clearcutting is a valuable management tool for foresters and wildlife managers”. The clearing of 490 acres of planted pines in Wayne National Forest may be an objectionable act to some, but it is just what the father of modern forestry would prescribe and there is little doubt Gifford Pinchot would approve of this proposal.

As a leader in economic development within the forest and wood products industry here in Ohio, the Appalachian Partnership for Economic Growth (APEG) would like to convey our full support for the Kehota Vegetation Management Project. Through our Forest to Furniture initiative, our organization sees evidence of the Pinchot family’s legacy in action on a daily basis. The Kehota Project is one more way for proper forest management to pay it forward for the “greater good”. The regrowth of 490 acres of hardwood forest in southern Ohio benefits wildlife and mankind alike. APEG would like to thank the US Forest Service for their efforts in properly managing one of Ohio’s most important resources.