Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Would you support a state focused "deer hunters only" organization?

Would you support a deer hunters coalition here in Ohio?

• I'm in!

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Pound salt nerd...

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Tell me more...

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No promises on this, but there is some interest in creating a deer hunters coalition to represent the collective voice of Ohio's deer hunter. Think the Ducks Unlimited or Pheasants Forever, but built around Ohio's deer hunters. The goal of the organization would be to collect and analyze "real" data and use it to fight a strategic, respectful battle against the factors hurting our hunting experience. We would be creating an organization that would demand a seat at the table when it comes to regulatory and management policies impacting deer. We would also place an emphasis on "hunter management" and would create educational initiatives to teach Ohio hunters "restraint". There's much more to the idea and we can share more on down the road, but this gives you a rough overview.

If this takes off, TOO will be central to it's success. I/We would be coming back to you all in the future to seek support through donations, spreading the message and showing up to support the organization at events and meetings.

We would appreciate your thoughts on this as we continue to evaluate this endeavor.

Thanks all!

reo

N.E. Ohio
I'm in!

As long as it does not turn into a type of organization that only claims to be a voice for deer hunters. Think Whitetails Unlimited, QDMA and so far the NDA.
This quote from your post makes me think this effort would be different:
"We would be creating an organization that would demand a seat at the table when it comes to regulatory and management policies impacting deer."

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm in!

As long as it does not turn into a type of organization that only claims to be a voice for deer hunters. Think Whitetails Unlimited, QDMA and so far the NDA.
This quote from your post makes me think this effort would be different:
"We would be creating an organization that would demand a seat at the table when it comes to regulatory and management policies impacting deer."

We want to shine a specific light on Ohio's deer hunters that organizations like USSA do, but can't focus solely on. There are great organizations out there that provide umbrella support for all hunters, but there is no organization that says "we represent Ohio's deer hunters". The Buckeye Big Buck Club is exclusionary by nature and their management is pro-DNR and at the end of the day, does not accurately represent the "average" hunter. What Ohio's hunters need is an organization for us, by us and one that represents us in a professional manner. We can all send emails and get all hillbilly on them, but that changes nothing. But when we start to gain momentum and we show up with a powerful, poignant voice, then we will earn our seat at the table. Just like Trump consolidated middle-America for the win, we want to consolidate the "average Joe Ohio hunter"'s voice and us that strength to facilitate change.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
To add to what Jesse has said.

Nationally Ohio ranks 5th in the number of hunters, and 11th in the number of jobs associated with the hunting. It represents an 853 million dollar economic impact for the state of Ohio; down from what once was slightly over a 1 billion dollar economic impact.

Recently hunters across the state have take a back seat to special interest groups putting pressure on our state representatives and Department of Wildlife. The State department of wildlife maintains their mission statement that "ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all." We feel that hunters have not been adequately considered in the encompassing statement of "all", Largely due to lack of unified representation.

Out goal is to attempt to unify that voice and bring hunters together through education and collaboration, to bring a unified message to those at the table.

Most of you that've known me for a while know this is a subject I'm very passionate about. I've not always taken the right approach with the DNR to put it mildly. I've been quite brash and a downright asshole to the DNR with regard to Ohio's deer population. It's time for a new approach, one more organized and unified. When we get this off the ground we'll be asking for your support and your voice. While I may be putting away my proverbial torch and pitchfork approach as Tonkovich so lovingly called it, I'm no less a stranger to the board room and no less passionate about preserving the deer hunting heritage and legacy for Ohio's hunters.