Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Decoy use

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I personally wouldn't use one. I don't use them at all, not worth the risk IMO. Right now the bucks are wore out from the rut and most are looking to put some weight back on, I don't think they are going to want to fight. Hunt the food source in the evenings.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
I agree. I doubt one would have any impact right now.
I'm also not a big fan of them at any time of the year either, basically just too lazy to carry it out with me and worried how the deer will react to it. I can only remember using one 2 times, and the funny thing is the first time I killed the biggest deer of my life (I think I could have been banging on a drum set as he was approaching it and he wouldn't have noticed me in the tree), and the second time I had a nice 130'ish 8 approach it and paw the ground around it for about 5 minutes. Both times during the rut. Maybe I should change my opinion on them??? Hunt a food source if you can.

Never used one very much, but I don't think I would want to use one right now. Like the others said most bucks really aren't looking for a fight and would probably shy away. If I was to use one, it would be a doe decoy.

Just like with turkeys I have seen some deer spook or shy away when spotting the decoy. Other times it works like a charm. I have only used them during the rut and sparingly at best. I have 1 or 2 stands that I like to use them on a gasline where the buck can spot them from a long distance.

trebor69

Amherst
I love using decoys and have had pretty good success over the last 10 years.

But....its always been between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Last year I shot a 10pt and this year my dad shot a 10pt....from the same stand with the same decoy (scarface) in the same position.
We always use a buck decoy and only when were after a buck during the rut. They have a really hard time resisting the urge to fight.

In my experience if youre after a doe avoid decoys. They dont always freak out when they see a decoy but they get nervous and keep their distance....usually circle around it. Ive never had a doe come in to a decoy.

Personally I would avoid it this time of year even though I bet it might still work. I did shoot a buck this year on December 3rd that was full on chasing a doe. If I had my decoy out I bet it would have got interesting real quick lol.