Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The race is on 2016/2017 rabbit season

dirtysouth36

Ok take 3. Ive typed this out twice now with 2 different versions, but end with the same result. When i went to post it i had been logged out and therefore lost all my progress... damn technology.

Ok so here it goes again
12-10-16
I meet up with buddy from work who i hunt with every weekend. I had a longer story to bring everyone into this but im tired of retyping it and losing all my progress.

We loaded dogs up at his house and headed out to hunt some public ground near harrison county. We spend lots of time rabbit hunting public ground. Its not always productive but every now and then we find a good place.

After about an hour drive we arrive at our first spot that we discovered last year by putting in lots of hunting. We did pretty well there late last year. So we unload and head into the thick right off the road. We are running a pack of 5 dogs his 3 and my 2. About 40 yards of the road the dogs are working the brush looking for there first victim. After some quick searching they had one up and running on a small loop down across a gas line into some big open woods. We had a light covering of dry snow on the ground and the dogs were seeming to have trouble the track in that snow. The first 2 races went like this both lasting about 30 minutes or so and ending down in the big woods. Idk if the rabbits holed up or what but the dogs just plain lost em.

We loaded up after those runs and drove down the road a ways and dropped at another spot. There was an atv trail heading up a steep hill with thick tree lines on eitherside of it. As we worked up through the brush letting the dogs search and look. My male turbo jumped one up and the rest of the pack jumped in as the rabbit ran out around a hillside through some big woods and down into a bottom around an old strip pond. The rabbit finally circled and came back up and crossed the atv trail in front of me. I missed on the first 2 shots as he circle around me finally on the 3rd shot i ended his run. Still thought i missed him on the 3rd shot. I never claimed to be the best shot lol. We continued on working down the atv trail trying to get another rabbit up and moving. We did alof of walking and had no luck. So we circled back and worked down toward that old strip pond that a roadbed leading down to it with a thick hillside on either side of the road bed. We had found the hot spot. The dogs jumped another rabbit and it led them up over the hill for loop then back down and across the road bed across to the other hill for a loop. After 2 laps back down he came crossing the road bed and we finally got a shot on him to end the run. That run lasted about an hour. We cleaned the rabbit and put him in the pack and started working farther up the road bed and had anothrr going within 30 yards of walking. Up the thick hillside and back down across up the other side and down again. Everytime they got across the road bed we would switch sides of the road to get a shot on him. I had shot and missed on his first time across. My buddy ended up shooting him on his third trip across the road. That run also lasted about an hour.

While we were cleaning that rabbit my female belle jumped another one right by us and off they went again. This rabbit made a huge run up the hill out into a grassy field and then back down across the road bed and up the other hill for another big loop. By this time there were plenty of rabbit tracks in this small area and it was really making the dogs work and that rabbit eventully holed up at the top of the other hill.

I had other plans for the evening so we decided to load up and head for home. All in all it was a good day. It was pretty cold and the dogs did pretty good. Ended up with 3 rabbits for the day. Think we had a totsl of 6 chases.

Im going to try and update this weekly. As we hunt every saturday of the season. My spelling and punctuation may not be the best but thought id give it a shot. Thanks for any input suggestions

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice update, I always copy the long posts and then hit send. That way if i'm timed out I can just paste it back into the post when I log back in.....

Sounds like a good day in the field. Alway like the pack running, seems to really keep them moving....

dirtysouth36

20161210_114237.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
real nice update. small game hunting is where it's at. :smiley_clap:

New Philly, eh? I have some in-laws out Dover/New Philly way.

Gordo

Athens County
Thanks j. The first one i typed out was much longer and explained alot more about the pack and how we hunt.

If I'm going novel type post, I'll punch it out as a 'note' on my iPhone and then copy and paste. I've had way to many write ups do the disappearing act. Can't handle it emotionally anymore. Ha

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If I'm going novel type post, I'll punch it out as a 'note' on my iPhone and then copy and paste. I've had way to many write ups do the disappearing act. Can't handle it emotionally anymore. Ha

Getting fragile in your old age Gordo? Lol