Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cold wather boots

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Ive got 2 pair of Muck boots. Im not sure of the level of insulation in them but damn, its time for some warmer boots. W/I a few hours I cant feel my toes. At first I thought maybe the circulation was being cutoff b/c of big calves, that's not the case. Anyone have any recommendations?

Jamie

Ohio
I'm pretty much done with rubber or neoprene boots for hunting unless I know I'm going to be wading in water or mud over my ankles. I have a pair of 1200 gram insulated Lacrosse Alpha Burly boots, and they will keep your feet warm in a treestand for a few hours when the temps dip into the low 20's, but they are heavy, cumbersome, not especially comfortable and always make for sweaty feet. the scent control factor of knee high rubber boots is a big fat lie.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/foot...6.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/_/N-1102519

after much consideration I settled on these for November archery hunting, late season squirrel hunting. I've had them for over a month now and have put some miles on them, sat in treestand on some pretty cold mornings. My feet stay as warm in these 400gram boots as they do in the 1200 gram rubbers, they are very lightweight, very comfortable, and well made. The toe box is generous enough that you can wear different weight socks from light to heavy w/sock liner and still lace them up snug and comfortable. this alone makes them useful for a variety of conditions and activities. they are Gore-Tex and I tested that pretty well yesterday as I had to cross a creek a couple of times and spent a few minutes in water up to my ankles. feet stayed dry. doubt that will last beyond this first season, but you never know. I imagine the 800gram version would be just fine for late season deer hunting. When I bought them I tried on the comparable Danner boot at the same time, and there was not much of a comparison.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/foot...2.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/_/N-1102519

The Danner boot was not any where near as comfortable on my foot, the construction seemed much less, too, but the price was not.

I'll probably buy the uninsulated version of these Meindl boots next year for warmer weather hunting.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Danner pronghorns are now made overseas and quality has seriously declined since the move. They only make a handful of boots still in the US. I have a pair of Danner Grouse boots... Made in USA... Extremely high quality, excellent boots. But they're not cold weather boots so they don't really pertain to this thread. I'm just sharing that Danner makes great boots as log as you can find ones made in the states.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The biggest issue is keeping your feet dry. Get wet, sweaty feet and suffer. This is my struggle.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I only wear my Muck boots for the same reasons as you Jamie. Even when I take dry socks and put on high-quality wool socks, my feet puss out after 3-4 hours if temps get below freezing. I bought some Danner High Grounds for Missouri and am pleased, but they are only 400 gram boots. Being a wuss with cold temps, I could use a 800 gram pair of hikers. I much prefer leather booths to rubber now and honestly, with some EverCalm and care, leather boots are not going to hurt your hunting from a scent standpoint.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Anybody try those booty things you put over your boots when you get settled in.

Prior to last season I had worn the LaCrosse Burly 1200 gram thinsulate boots for years but I couldn’t put enough rubber cement and duct tape on the old pair to keep them usable. At the time I didn’t have the money for another pair of LaCrosse but saw the Itasca 1000 gram thinsulate boots at Tractor Supply ($65) so I bought them hoping for the best but expecting the worst. For me this has been a great boot. I’m a cold baby, if the hooves get cold I’m done. Wore the boots with a single pair of wool/poly socks and never got cold even during last muzzle season standing on a steel stand for hours.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Prior to last season I had worn the LaCrosse Burly 1200 gram thinsulate boots for years but I couldn’t put enough rubber cement and duct tape on the old pair to keep them usable. At the time I didn’t have the money for another pair of LaCrosse but saw the Itasca 1000 gram thinsulate boots at Tractor Supply ($65) so I bought them hoping for the best but expecting the worst. For me this has been a great boot. I’m a cold baby, if the hooves get cold I’m done. Wore the boots with a single pair of wool/poly socks and never got cold even during last muzzle season standing on a steel stand for hours.

I tried a pair of them on the other day, 10 too small 11 too big. Keep me posted on how you like them. I might look into them a little harder.

Mike Ive tried those booties, didn't like them all that much. Bearded Chad likes them tho.

Buckmaster

Portage
Anybody try those booty things you put over your boots when you get settled in.

I have pair but I've never used them yet. If it's that cold I probably don't want to hunt.

I run with 400 grain, 800, 1200, and 2000 boots. And a pair of Artic Pack boots....those are my absolute warmest but weigh about 5 pounds each. They've seen minus 20 during a controlled muzzleloader hunt once.

twireman

Kingston, OH
The boot covers are a God send for me... last year late season I was hunting with 200g rubber boots. Walk in and slip the covers over after getting in stand... never got cold.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The boot covers are a God send for me... last year late season I was hunting with 200g rubber boots. Walk in and slip the covers over after getting in stand... never got cold.
Even with 1000 gram rubber boots my feet get cold below 25°. And I love late season hunting. Also not spending $100 on thermacell heated insoles.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Even with 1000 gram rubber boots my feet get cold below 25°. And I love late season hunting. Also not spending $100 on thermacell heated insoles.

X 2.....thats why i got boot covers. Got my moneys worth.