Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Got to hunt 1 day of gun season but luck was on my side

trebor69

Amherst
Well....I had no time off from work so I could only go Saturday. I told myself I was going in real early so I could be in my stand already when all the late comers hit the woods and planned on staying all day. I was all settled in my stand by 6:15 and decided to take a nap for about 45 minutes or so until daybreak. Once daybreak hit.... NOTHIN....no deer...no nearby shots just a quiet cold creeped in on me. I quickly realized I did not dress warm enough. I suffered through it alternating between sitting and standing trying to move around a little and keep the blood flowing lol. It was tolerable but kind of miserable.

About 11am a really large beautiful gray/white coyote came thru about 80 yards out but I could not get lined up on him before he was gone out of sight. He was coming on a path that would lead him past me at about 40 yards but the neighbor decided he was going to cut firewood about 70 yards behind me. When the chainsaw fired up the yote quickly changed direction and went out of sight. I was discouraged I didnt get a shot at the yote and even more discouraged that the neighbor chose to cut firewood so close to me(he didnt even know I was there) but I wanted to stick it out.

About 1:30 I was entertaining myself watching squirrels through my scope and seriously considering getting down and going for a walk to warm up. I might possibly move some deer towards my dad who was in a stand about 400 yards from me. Then I heard a loud noise to my right. You know one of those noises that has you thinking...THAT wasnt a squirrel. I stared in that direction straining to see what had made the noise for 10 or 15 minutes but nothing. Another 10 minutes passes and I finally spot some deer legs moving slowly through the brush about 80 yards away. Then just like that it was gone. Im looking through my rangefinder with 8x magnification trying to spot it again and finally do. Its a small doe. She jumps forward and low and behold theres a really nice buck following her. Now I am praying she leads him out of the thick brush towards me....but she leads him directly away from me and my heart sinks...CRAP!

As I sit there staring in the direction they left....suddenly theres a hell of a comotion....HOLY CRAP here she comes full bore and hes hot on her about 15 yards behind. I thought to myself OH NO shes going to run past straight to my right (Im right handed) and I cant turn far enough in my seated position to shoot. Well....I told myself when she is about to pass by I am just going to stand...aim...and fire. She ran by at about 10 yards....I stood up, turned and shouldered my TC Triumph....which scared the hell outta her. When she spooked he came to a stop trying to figure out what had spooked her. Before he could figure it out the TC jumped up and bit him. At 15 yards 3 pellets and a 250gr Shockwave is pretty effective lol. He ran about 40 yards plowing dirt the whole way.

20161203_140420.jpg

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Welcome Rob and nice deer buddy. You have deer pics so you get a free pass on the intro. :smiley_coolpeace: Glad to have you around.