Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gun Opener Buck

WoodCoDep

BARTLETT, OH
It's been a while since I've posted anything but I still get on and read all the time. Thought I'd share my gun kill from Monday. I had four deer on my hit list this year and my time in stand has been very limited. I missed one hit lister on 10/8 and shot right over his back. I made it out a few times during the rut and saw very few deer but did see at least one buck each time. On 11/5 I had one of my shooters at 50yds but decided not to take the shot. Later that night he was killed by an old buddy about a mile away. Bummer. Gun season was closing in and my bucks stopped showing up on cam but I figured that was normal while they were looking for does. Monday rolled around and I had a good feeling that someone might push one of my shooters to my new stand location. There was very few shots in the area until 815-830. I had actually fell asleep out of boredom lol. A shot rang out and woke me up. About 5 minutes later I heard a bunch of brush crashing then it went silent. Another 5 minutes roll by and I could finally hear a deer coming my direction. At first glance I thought it was a doe walking through the trees. It finally walked through a clearing and I saw it had a good rack so I pulled my .45-70 up and found it in the scope. He was still walking so I mouth bleated pretty loud as he was about 100 yds. He stopped in my lane and I glanced up and saw he had a good frame so I quit looking at the rack found his shoulder and squeezed the shot. I saw him jump and knew I hit him but with the kick of the rifle I lost track of him for a second then saw him dragging his front leg. He made it about 30 yds and piled up. I gave him a while then went looking. When I got to about 15 yds I realized it was one of my hit list bucks I called Stubby. I passed him up last year and he grew quite a bit. He was 19in inside and my taxi figured him in the mid to high 140s. It has been three years since I killed a buck so I was thrilled. Here's some pics of a deer I called junior and Stubby.

Attachments

• jr1.jpg
    jr1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 118
  • jr2.jpg
    jr2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 120
  • trail1.jpg
    trail1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 122
  • trail2.jpg
    trail2.jpg