Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How the hell do you score this one?

Been busy, but since I am off work today and decided not to hunt till the daughter got home, I decided to run out to measure my Ohio buck. Figured it would take 2 minutes to do. Turns out I did more head scratching trying to figure out the score. Let me say it doesn't matter how this is ruled as this is all in fun anyway. Just thought that this may be fun to figure out and I would make a separate thread before putting it in the harvest thread.

Here is a couple of trail cam pics of the buck for reference of what he looked like before he busted himself up and the harvest pic showing the tag.

Ok. Lets start off with the 2 measurement that I know.

Left Base. This one is easy at 3 3/4

Longest Point is 7 3/4

Ok. Now for number of points. Does the double main beam (club that is sticking back) that is broke off count as a point? The left side is easy at 4 points, but the is the right 1 or 2?

Ok. Right Base. Do I measure above or below the 2nd main beam that is broke off? Below is 6 3/4 and above is 2

Ok. Main beam measurement. He has a crab claw at the end. Is it the upper one or the lower one that I would use for the main beam measurement? Measurements are 18 1/4 vs 17

Ok. Spread. Do I go to the brow for the spread measurement or do I go perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the skull and go to the other main beam? 2nd pic isn't the best but it is 6 1/4 vs 9 3/4. (I went out and took different spread pic so it was better.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This will be great as guys way in on it. This could be a very educational thread. I will refrain from putting my opinion out there. It is simply opinion. Not sure how accurate it would be on this one. Great buck with cool character however he scores.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tough one indeed. This is where a scorers judgement comes into play. There's no real right or wrong, but opinions will likely vary. To me, I look at it like what's remaining on the right side is a G1 (brow tine) and a broken main beam. I'd count the main beam as a point since it always is anyway, and the G1 as a point. The circumference measurement would be measured below the G1, between the broken main beam and the skull. I'm making these decisions based solely on what I see with the current rack (or rather what's left) and not from the trailcam pics. Just my two cents worth.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Tough one indeed. This is where a scorers judgement comes into play. There's no real right or wrong, but opinions will likely vary. To me, I look at it like what's remaining on the right side is a G1 (brow tine) and a broken main beam. I'd count the main beam as a point since it always is anyway, and the G1 as a point. The circumference measurement would be measured below the G1, between the broken main beam and the skull. I'm making these decisions based solely on what I see with the current rack (or rather what's left) and not from the trailcam pics. Just my two cents worth.

I agree with JB. That rack is too cool regardless of score.

Yep he is a cool rack regardless of score and is special since it is the first buck harvested at camp. Also the buck we had on the trail cams the most. Just was wondering for the contest how he should be scored. Something I thought was going to be easy ended up being a head scratcher. LOL.