Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gun week Athens

Lundy

Monday was very quiet on the surronding properties and I heard very little shooting and nothing close.

I saw deer all day and quit a few 14-18 does and 3 bucks, 2 spikes (one I call devil deer due to his long spikes and a 8 point I considered but let walk.

Tuesday was very warm and pretty day for fishing not so much for hunting. Saw much less deer movement and no bucks. 34 turkeys walked within 5 yards of me. I hate those things.

Wednesday, raining hard, staying in the hotel until around noon then going in.

A few pictures from Monday

jlane

dunn nc
Monday was a good day to be out, i saw good movement.
Cameras reveled good movement.
I did hear a good # of shots.
cameras showed very little movement yesterday,some last night, so I;m thinking today there will be decent movement.
Keep an eye on barometric pressure, if it starts to rise and gets near 30.20 and up, get in a tree.

jlane

dunn nc
By the way that first pic. is great, He will be a stud if he survives a couple more years.
I have an old saying, If I let him walk, I stand a 50/50 chance of seeing him again, shoot him and 0 chance of seeing him walk again.
You won the game, he lost, but lives to play another day.

Lundy

Wednesday morning brought heavy rain. I stayed in the hotel until around 9 before going in. I took my hunting buddy to his stand at daylight that is close. He killed a 130 ish 8 point Wednesday morning. After taking care of his deer I hunted from noon till dark in a new location on the farm and saw 2 does and one little 3 point that had a serious problem. He has a big sack of liquid on his right shoulder and leg. I'm guessing it some kind of infection. He was only limping slightly and was eating. I feel sorry for him.

Thursday I hunting daylight to dark and saw 10-12 does, some more than once, no bucks.

jlane

dunn nc
Wow, looks like you were pretty close to him, Whats the likely hood of getting an arrow with a field tip in there to drain that sucker.

Lundy

I debated what to do with him. Slight limp otherwise was acting normal. He was around 70 yds. I thought about shooting his sack low to try and drain but decided not to. If I see him again I might.

If he was in obvious distress I would have just put him down. I maybe should have anyway, tough call

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
In Athens Co also. Monday I worked, my wife hunted, saw a few does, heard only a few shots nearby.
Tuesday we both hunted, gorgeous day to be out, no deer movement.
Wednesday settled in at 8, 9:30 heard a nearby shot, had group of does come busting thru, all buck are very nocturnal unless jumped up.
Wednesday evening has s group of does come thru and I picked one. Meat in the freezer for our house. Helped neighbor drag out very nice 8 point.
Hunted Zaleski yesterday did some drives, 12 guys. Group shot a few deer. No bucks, jumped s few nice bucks though.
Hunting my farm rest of the week.
Good luck all!

Lundy

Went in before daylight again and got in one of my boxes way on the back of the property. I had 8 does, in a couple of locations this morning hanging around until around 8:30

This buck cam out of some real think stuff at 9:00. I didn't have long to decide so I put him down at 140 yds with the .444 Marlin. He never took a step. As many of you know I have lost this farm to hunt after 28+ years and it was really bittersweet to kill my last deer here, maybe my last deer anywhere, we'll see. he is not a monster but is mature and will provide us with some much appreciated deer meat. Had I not been losing this farm he may have gotten a pass but I am very happy with him. I am spending the next two days just getting all of my property off of the farm and will done for the year. It is really hard to describe the feeling of realizing that it is over. There are so many memories here for me.

You know I always take some bird pictures while I hunt. Who else do you know that hangs a bird feeder by their stand? :D Also after two blurry nightime pics of a bobcat for the first time ever I got a daytime picture this year. I would have loved to have been able to see the puddy tat.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very nice deer to finish up with. I'm hoping you decide to continue hunting. Hoping another door opens for you.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations, Kim! Really pretty buck, hopefully he is just the end to a chapter and not the book.