Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sugar Beets

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I had some out this year, but the drought really stunted their growth, so it's hard to say how the deer would like them. However after a decade of planting tubers and bulbs, I'm all but done. Sticking to clover and chicory, or a wheat/oat mix going forward. Had much better results with those blends.

I had some out this year, but the drought really stunted their growth, so it's hard to say how the deer would like them. However after a decade of planting tubers and bulbs, I'm all but done. Sticking to clover and chicory, or a wheat/oat mix going forward. Had much better results with those blends.

Yes those blends are hard to beat, but I always get the itch to try something new. Seems alot of people use sugar beets bulbs for attractant. Was thinking of growing an acre or two in PA where I have the equipment and then use some of the bulbs in Ohio.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ok. Ordered some sugar beet seed the other day from Deer Creek. Tonight I got the plot plowed up and I hope in a couple weeks to get it planted. I plowed about 1 acre.

That looks really nice! I'm looking forward to hearing how the sugar beets perform for you. That's one that you don't read much about when it comes to food plots.

Definitely looking forward to hearing how they do. I've brought sugar beets down from Michigan from time to time as in Michigan next to carrots it is one of the most used baits for deer. The first time or two I put them out they rotted and didn't get touched. This past year I brought some down and they were annihilated within a short amount of time.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Any new planting in a area the deer has to learn to feed on it. 1st year I planted turnips only the tops were eat. Then in the following years all the bulbs were eaten to ground level.
I planted some sugar beets with my spring turnips last year but the drought wiped out the planting and did a fall planting of turnips.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Had 2 gorgeous lush radish plots last year out in Illinois.... Deer didn't touch them... I was the only one eating the radishes... I guess during the winter they ate them as last month every radish was pulled out and gone... Don't know if I'll waste my time putting something in this year...