Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting with Suppressors

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Its been legal in Ohio for over a year now, has anyone tried it?

It is definitely an expensive addition but I think the benefits outweigh the cost over time. I have set up my hunting .22s for shooting suppressed. If I shoot standard velocity ammo (which is subsonic) its hollywood quiet and you can actually hear the round impact on the squirrel. Otherwise with supersonic (high velocity) rounds you hear a crack from somewhere downrange. 22LR is one of the worst rounds for your hears without protection and with the suppressor there is no ringing or tinnitus after shooting without hearing protection.

When hunting with my kids its nice because no trying to get hearing protection on before I shoot, just take the shot as the squirrels appear.

Silencerco earlier this year released a suppressor that can handle up to 45-70 so I am in the process of being ready to hunt deer with a suppressed 44 mag and 444 marlin.

I don't know everything about them but you definitely get what you pay for. Also SilencerCo has a nice discount program for LEO/MIL.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If I did more small game hunting I'd be all over it but I can't justify it for the 2-3 squirrel hunts I do each year.

Blan37

SW Ohio
We may not have to jump through NFA hoops before too long:

With pro-gun President-elect Donald Trump heading to the White House, substantial deregulation regarding firearm suppressors could be a reality.
Waldron then brought up Representative Matt Salmon’s (R-AZ-5) Hearing Protection Act; a legislative push that would remove suppressors from National Firearms Act oversight so Americans could more easily acquire them for hearing protection while target shooting or hunting. He asked if President-elect Trump would support such changes once in office, and Don Jr. said, “We want to go through Congress, want to do it the right way, but if you line up those votes he is obviously going to be for it.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/11/14/deregulation-suppressors-reality-president-trump/