Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CVA 45-70 gov

PSE13

Shelby
I recently got a 45-70 as a Christmas gift. I'm looking to put a decent scope on it. Looking at the Luepold Vx-1 and the vortex diamond back. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
What type of hunting are you wanting to do with it? Stand hunting? Still hunting? Pushes? What sort of distances are you anticipating for shot opportunities?

Vortex makes great scopes for the money and has an awesome guarantee on their scopes, no questions asked. Leupold scopes are very nice also. Both companies offer LEO/MIL discounts if that is something to help you save a few bucks.

I am going with a 1.25-4x on my 44mag, 444 marlin and my muzzleloader from Leupold. 4 power is good enough for the 150-200 yard shots which would be my maximum distance to shoot the 444 marlin and just about the farthest I could safely shoot on the farm. The 1.25x is almost as fast as a red dot for still hunting or when walking during our slow pushes. Other really useful zooms for deer hunting in Ohio would be 1-6, 2-7. I can never find a deer fast enough with a 3-9 but that is probably practice rather than an actual problem. I would also look at some of the "shotgun slug" reticles as the ballistics will be similar to 45-70 but not perfect.

I have 3 Vortex scopes on other rifles and love them on those rifles.

PSE13

Shelby
I will be doing mainly stand hunting and using it as a deer gun. I would like to put a 3x9x40 on it . As far as saving money we have a friend that works at a sporting good store and she will get us things at cost of the store!

PSE13

Shelby
Well it's been awhile but here it all put together and waiting for the range! Can't wait too get it dialed in and kill something with it! IMG_0154.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very nice! I saw these in an ad the other day and thought it'd be a sweet little deer gun. Let us know how it shoots!