Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Slugs

00buck

Ok folks have a few questions for you I have been shooting winchester rackmaster slugs 12g 1 1/8 Oz

Have a box or 2 left I went to pick up some at my local gun shop and they don't sell them anymore and the gentleman behind the counter said he thought they had been discontinued anyone know where I can get them at they shoot great or something that I can shoot out of either barrel

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
Second on Brenneke KO. Struggled to find a good slug for my Mossberg 835, rifled slug barrel. I really like the KO magnums. Consistent shooting at 50- 100 yards. (Don't plan on shooting that far, but at range tried it...)

loose_is_fast

McClure
You would be way better off shooting sabots. Your consistent groups would turn into great groups. Those rifled slugs are going to put a hell of a lot of lead deposits in your rifling of the barrel. Rifled slugs are made for smooth bore barrels. Just trying to help.

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
That's what I thought, but it shot so horrible with everything I tried. (I considered getting rid of it...) Guys at local gun store said try these... Brennrke advertises and is labeled for rifled or smooth barrel.

Last edited:

00buck

That's what I thought, but it shot so horrible with everything I tried. (I considered getting rid of it...) Guys at local gun store said try these... Brennrke advertises and is labeled for rifled or smooth barrel.
That's how those winchester slugs were just wanted something that it didn't matter what gun I grabbed I could use how much are those ko a box

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I have been faithful to the accutips. Great performance on hide and paper. I shoot a savage 220 20 gauge and with the accutips at 100 yards I'm cutting holes. I tried the Hornady sst and my group spread to about 3 inches
It is amazing how some slugs work great in certain guns and not worth a damn in others. Everyone I know loves the accutips. My Mossberg 500 hates them.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have been faithful to the accutips. Great performance on hide and paper. I shoot a savage 220 20 gauge and with the accutips at 100 yards I'm cutting holes. I tried the Hornady sst and my group spread to about 3 inches
I ahot both Accutips and SSTs from my 1187 20 gauge and they are very comparable. I went with SSTs only because they are easier to get locally. Remington is now making the copper solid sabot for 20 gauge. I shot those for years from by Mossberg 500 12 gauge. Nasty little sabot.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My 220 also prefers the accutips. I may try the Winchester partition golds though. My only gripe about the accutips is I don't care for the plastic tip on the front. I've found chunks of green plastic fragmented in a couple different deer I've butchered. I really like how partition golds and Barnes expanders cloverleaf and stay together when they hit an animal. If I can get one of them to group on paper even remotely close to the accutips. I'll probably make the switch.

reo

N.E. Ohio
You would be way better off shooting sabots. Your consistent groups would turn into great groups. Those rifled slugs are going to put a hell of a lot of lead deposits in your rifling of the barrel. Rifled slugs are made for smooth bore barrels. Just trying to help.

The plastic sabots don't deposit plastic? What about lead bullets in rifles?
Seriously not being a smart ass as I do not know the answers but I would think anything softer than the rifling would leave deposits.

00buck

The plastic sabots don't deposit plastic? What about lead bullets in rifles?
Seriously not being a smart ass as I do not know the answers but I would think anything softer than the rifling would leave deposits.
That's what I wasn't sure of what is the major difference I have shot rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel and hit the target with only a difference of 3/4" in grouping