Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for tracking advice

arjay

S.E. Ohio
Well Sunday night I shot a buck about 10 min before dark..... I sat in my stand about 15-20 min so not to push the deer if it was close as it turns out my super confident we'll placed shot wasn't so well place I spent ten min looking for my arrow and found it 20 yards from where I had shot him and my broad head and 6 inches of my arrow are still in him, 200 yards of what was a good blood trail came to drips that became spaced farther and farther apart after 3 hours of tracking in the dark and a sleepless night I decided to call off work and try again in daylight well after after another 3 hours of tracking Monday morning I had to return to work my best guess is I hit a bit forward and got in his shoulder due to my work schedule 7-5 Mon-fri I have not been able to return to search I truly hope he makes it and doesn't end up 2 miles away coyote bait, wasted because of my poor shot.... my question to you guys is there an app out there that has GPS that could track my tracking and able to drop pins to mark blood and signs while tracking and help cover ground more efficiently especially in the dark? I tried Google maps ( only GPS app on my phone) and was unable to make it track my movement??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
No help with the GPS, but sounds like a high shoulder hit, which 99% of the time they survive. However, dont ever pay attention to some ding dong like me on the internet. If you have the time, rsources, and energy to track him, by all means do it. Good luck arjay

arjay

S.E. Ohio
I dont know of any local tracking dogs, I also believe it to be a high shoulder shot as well, im going to try one of the apps, thanks for the help!

I know this is late but for future reference OnXMaps is a great mobile app that has a ton of useful features including what you are looking for. So has there been any good news on finding or locating him? Has he showed back up on any of your cams or been seen of the hoof?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I know this is late but for future reference OnXMaps is a great mobile app that has a ton of useful features including what you are looking for. So has there been any good news on finding or locating him? Has he showed back up on any of your cams or been seen of the hoof?
X2 on Onx maps also. I've used it a few times for tracking.

Blan37

SW Ohio
For what it's worth, HuntStand just added parcel info / property boundaries to their app. I know it doesn't have the features that Onx does but it's free. Also shows scent cone based on wind and a few other useful features.