Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Does anyone have any experience or guidance about Go Pro Cameras?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Told my wife for Christmas I'd like to have a Go Pro to film while hunting or in the outdoors.

Anybody care to share experience or recommendation for model?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've got a Hero 3 Black. They are awesome little cameras. I bought mine mainly for taking pics of fishing trips. The wide angle lens is great for closeup shots, but stinks for anything out there. If you're gonna use it for hunting and mount it to the Tree your in or on your weapon, don't expect to get great video out past 20y.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have a hero 4 white, that is currently in Washington county at Jesse's. Mine has WiFi, which allows it to be used with a remote if you buy one for $50 lol. You can also download the videos straight to your phone with the wifi. Animals must be 30 yards or less to get any good video with a gopro. I got mine on sale at Walmart for $200.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you get one, turn of the red blinking LED light which shows it's filming... A deer will bust you in a heartbeat when it sees you... Also, there's a view finder option, don't use it in low light shooting either as it lights your face up while filming....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
They are nice for close range but as far as a 20-25 yard + shot, you will not be able to see much detail as far as impacts.
J and I both have the mounting bracket for a gun or fishing pole.

I have considered using it mounted on a "gorilla arm" hung from a tree closer to the shooting lane and using the hand held remote to turn it on before shooting. I may also suggest getting some canned footage before of you I'm the stand or nest watching and swinging up to take the shot for editing later.

GoPro has a decient free download for editing that's fairly easy to use for putting it all together once it's all done.

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
If you're looking at one, check Walmart right now if you don't mind having an older model. They have last year's cameras on clearance and accessories as well. I scored these three accessories for $41 today. Retail is $160.