Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Honeysuckle

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Over the last couple of years the honeysuckle at our one farm has spread lime wildfire. I was wondering if any of u guys have to deal with it.
I am mainly concerned with there being too much of it that it will get to a point where it kills the local species of trees and shrubs.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't mind honeysuckle. It's good browse and makes for some nasty thick bedding. Can't say as I've ever seen a spot that had me concerned about other species dying out. I set aside about 6 acres of our farm in 3 different sanctuaries and they are largely covered in the stuff. Deer sure don't mind it.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Last night after i was done hunting i wrapped a chain around a bush and pulled it out with my 4 wheeler so i may just clear some out that way. I don't think I want to take all of it out but it is getting absolutely terrible in about half the woods.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I just confirmed with a video but I believe you can cut it and spray tordon on it to kill it back. You can spray new growth with GLY to kill it back as well, if the deer don't keep the new growth at down for you.