Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shot a nice one tonight.....

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
in the fuggin antlers. I'm terrible. Right at 5:30 I could hear one back in the thicket walking around. Tipped the can and gave a couple soft grunts and out he came. Just like I always envision. Broadside in the open. Really nice 8 point. He caught me in mid draw and spun away. I stopped him at what I thought was 40 yards. He totally ducked at the shot and it smacked off his rack. He was at around 32 yards. Really irresponsible of me to take that shot. Really glad I didn't wound him. I got caught up in the moment and just panicked. Ugh:smiley_depressive:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I'm just troubled that I've lost my wits twice this year with big Bucks. I used to be Cool Hand Luke when it came to big bucks. Its hard to make a shot with both hands around your neck, haha

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I made the statement twice today that somewhere along the line I went from being a deer slayer with decent range skills to being really good at shooting dots and not so good at killing deer. This game can fugg with us. Glad it was a clean miss, but I feel your pain.

Gordo

Athens County
Doh! Still a great encounter!

Be glad it happened, but more glad that it's over. Get back out there. You'll have ice running through your veins at the next opportunity and will smoke one. I guarantee it

In the heat of the moment it can be tough at times. Just be happy you didn't wound him. I always talk to myself before the shot. I kinda remind myself how long I've sat waiting for the shot that is about to happen. I always tell myself "Don't blow it now, Dick", seems to work for me. This only takes a second, but it makes me concentrate on the fine details of the moment at hand.